GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cam follower wear after 4635 miles after APR HPFP install

SMRGTI

Reefur Madness
Car(s)
MKVGTI
APR has HIGHLY recommend to check and change your cam follower every 5k with the APR hpfp. The APR hpfp definitely wears down the cam follower much quicker, but in a normal fashion. Check the pics below.

This pic shows the cam follower wear from the STOCK hpfp @ ~20,000 miles

This pic shows another cam follower with wear @ 4635 miles from APR hpfp
Again there is more wear but with no ruff surface or indentation.

Recently my CEL has been coming on a off, with a code stating low fuel pressure or some shit. So I did the following...

Cam & hpfp look no different than before. Again, no abnormal wear from the cam follower. Coulda even went another 1-2k.

The hpfp sensor has the blue gasket and was told by the tuning shop thats the revised sensor.

The only thing it could be is the low pressure fuel pump under the car.
* I also recently changed my fuel filter along with the timing belt, so "check mark" on that. (Car has 66K)

When I was priming the hpfp, I heard a more noticeable noise from under the car. Had to be that pump trying to deliver the fuel to the APR hpfp.

Either way I think its time to replace it before I get fuel cuts!!!

ECStuning sells new and better pumps for a decent price.

Any similar experiences give me a heads up. Thanks!

SMRGTI

Reefur Madness
Car(s)
MKVGTI
The shop told me the pump from the gas tank that delivers the fuel up to the hpfp.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
For what is is worth, the DLC of the cam follower was gone in your first picture, at which point wear accelerates due to metal-on-metal contact. The follower should have been replaced when the first picture was taken.

GTI6120

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI, 08 A3
For what is is worth, the DLC of the cam follower was gone in your first picture, at which point wear accelerates due to metal-on-metal contact. The follower should have been replaced when the first picture was taken.

I use to believe this but realized that there is still a good amount of life on the followers after some of the DLC has worn off. I have kept all my used followers and have put one back in, which has been on the car for another 5k so far and still has some life left. I wouldn't just throw out a follower that has lost the coating. I think the weakest point on the followers and what fails the fastest is the 4 holes.

SMRGTI

Reefur Madness
Car(s)
MKVGTI
Are these new hpfp upgraded cam followers supposed to last a lot longer?

SMRGTI

Reefur Madness
Car(s)
MKVGTI
Is your hpfp upgraded? With APR hpfp there is more pressure from the change of the internals (spring and all), causing more faster wear. These pumps can handle big ol' turbos with no problem thou.

molo_Ono

Go Balls Deep
Car(s)
'07 GTI
Wow! I'll have to post the pics of mine after 11K miles. The DLC is barely scratched up. It could have easily lasted 4,000 more miles. Mods in sig...

I drive like an old man and mainly to/from work though. Don't get me wrong, I have the occasional highway run and dig from a stop light. Just not that often.

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
It also depends on the type of oil you use as well, some are better at metal to metal flat tappet wear protection than others, just noone wants to believe it

Alik4041

Habibi!
Car(s)
08 Jetta Wolfsburg
I use to believe this but realized that there is still a good amount of life on the followers after some of the DLC has worn off. I have kept all my used followers and have put one back in, which has been on the car for another 5k so far and still has some life left. I wouldn't just throw out a follower that has lost the coating. I think the weakest point on the followers and what fails the fastest is the 4 holes.

This has less to do with the cam follower and more to do with the cam lobe. The idea is to keep the area of contact between the cam lobe and follower as slick as possible. If you exclude aggressive driving, there are four physical variables to take into consideration:

1- the stiffness of the spring
2- cam follower surface friction
3- cam lobe surface friction
4- clean oil

If you don't maintain a proper coating on your cam follower, it will literally begin wet-sanding your cam lobe with oil as the lubricant. Your oil will being to accumulate with the debris from both your cam follower and cam lobe. At this point, changing your cam follower and your oil will not be enough to fix the problem. When the cam follower is replaced, the problem will be initiated by the rough surface on the cam lobe. This overtime will begin wearing down the cam lobe to the point that the distance between the HPFP piston and the cam lobe are increased.

Overall, keep an eye on your oil and when you start seeing the metal beyond that DLC coating, replace your follower.

HPFPUPGRADE

Banned
Is your hpfp upgraded? With APR hpfp there is more pressure from the change of the internals (spring and all), causing more faster wear. These pumps can handle big ol' turbos with no problem thou.

The wear is not from the spring or the internal upgrades it comes mostly from the tune updates. Higher requested pressure puts additional load on the cam follower and this is what causes the wear. What we are starting to see is this last revision from VW on the cam follower seems to be worse then the one previous. We are starting to see cam followers wearing out in 8 to 10k miles, when they would normally last 16 to 20k miles.