GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

aerodynamics?

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
junker, how much did those cost and where did you order them?
I thought those were EU parts only?

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
junker, how much did those cost and where did you order them?
I thought those were EU parts only?

Yeah, they are. WorldImpex can import any part from Germany if you have the part numbers. Thanks Bruce :thumbsup:

A good strategy is to use 1stvwparts.com for parts or mounting hardware available in the US (if you are doing an order with them anyway) and then use WorldImpex or ECS for the Euro parts.

The vents were $36 each and the alloy sleeves were $11 each (can maybe be substituted?). So everything came to $98.50, but would only be about $76 if it turns out that we don't need the sleeves. I'll keep you posted on the install in about a week or so when I do the full front brake job.

P.S.: In case you are wondering how these things work...it looks like the fender liner channel than runs toward the brakes hits this thing pretty much straight on, and then out through the brake and wheel.

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
Rear Axle Cover Installed

It was a little more work than I expected, but the rear axle cover from the European TDI BlueMotion has finally been installed!

My car lacked the stud on the driver's side of the rear axle required mount the cover, so I drilled a hole and used JB Weld to install the stud. JB Weld does take 12-24 hours to cure, so I used electrical tape to hold it in place overnight. It turned out that the threads on the stud are actually not long enough. :mad: The reason is that the collar on the plastic nut + the shield + the space before threads actually start take up maybe 8mm. You can just flip the plastic nut upside down, but I went and used a Dremel to remove the washer section from the plastic nut. Another solution might be to leave the stud out about 3mm when the JB Weld cures. After that, it was a 5 minute install and it looks like it will really help the underbody airflow from running into the rear axle, the rear suspension, and the inside of the rear valence. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 1,610
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,579
  • photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 3,921

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Good job !! :thumbsup:

LOUCFUR

DIÄBLÖ
Car(s)
GTI MKV
hey bruce, ive read the thread that you said that vw racing tested two front spoilers. votex and rieger. which one of the 2 do you think it creates more drag? ... what do you think about the thunderbunny front? you think those open grills and no lip hurts its performance at higher speeds? ...

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
hey bruce, ive read the thread that you said that vw racing tested two front spoilers. votex and rieger. which one of the 2 do you think it creates more drag? ... what do you think about the thunderbunny front? you think those open grills and no lip hurts its performance at higher speeds? ...

I said the Votex and the VW Racing were developed in the wind tunnel.
The Rieger looks very similar to the VW Racing (I don't know if it's the same).

I guess the VW Racing (and the Rieger) creates both more downforce and
lower drag than the Votex but I like the understatement look of the Votex.

The Thunderbunny seems to be as low as the VW Racing, but a has a different
shape. I suspect the aerodynamic properties to be similar. I will help to close
the open fog grills though (or use them for brake ventilation if that is your bigger
concern).

LOUCFUR

DIÄBLÖ
Car(s)
GTI MKV
thx bruce ... im not really worried about the brakes right now ... but more about the the aerodynamic performance of the tb front ...

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Are you interested in the Thunderbunny for looks or for performance?
I like it. Don't miss the rest of the kit !!

:thumbsup:

LOUCFUR

DIÄBLÖ
Car(s)
GTI MKV
i was interested in the looks. but me and some friends might actually go to a track during the summer. that i dont want to feel like something is slowing me down ...

LOUCFUR

DIÄBLÖ
Car(s)
GTI MKV
if your car is DSG, be aware of DSG fuild temperature.
itll slow down when temp exceeds around 130C.

havent had that issue in autoX yet ... idk how long the track my friends want to go is ... but lets say 1.5 miles. would you say a session of an hr would overheat it? ...

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
Do you guys know if any of these underbody parts would be compatible with the MK6 GTI? I suppose the MK6 R would have the longer front underbody cover that should work.

Great info! Thanks!

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Mk.6 = Mk.5.1 :23:

I don't know if the Mk.VI R comes with the engine undertray factory fitted, but I guess
most Mk.V R32 came with it.

The only important difference is between FWD and AWD. The rear parts can not be
fitted to AWD models.

Last edited:

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Looking at ordering the front brake shields.

vent 8P0 863 149 A and 150A 13,25€
dust shield 8J0 615 311 E and 312E 23,15€ (for 370 mm rotors)
bolt 2x N104 222 03
nut 2x N 907 611 02
tube 2x 8J0 864 133 A

I don't need the dust shields do I? I take it you need to remove the current shields to make this effective. I'm running R32 brakes on TT control arms so hoping these bolt right on.