Ready to race!
Enco-7088 gold edition ?

:biggrin:

http://www.szenco.com/index.html

The Enco VW-7088 all most like as model.ahaha...:lol:

chollas

Passed Driver's Ed
Igo Primo 2.0 **Working**

Here Is the working copy I have of Primo 2.0 Had to make a few hacks but it has been running stable on my unit for a week now.

English TTS Voices, Skins, Color Themes, .dem and building files included. Just add maps and POI files.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Enjoy!

chollas

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for this Chollas. Gonna download it and give it a try.

I should have mentioned in the initial post that the first time you run Primo 2.0 it can take a few mins to boot up as the software builds the speedcam files. So if it looks like it hangs on the start up screen leave it for a bit. After that load times are similar to Primo 1.2

strubby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
07 GTI DSG
Pros:
  1. Mine still works wonderfully as it did from Day 1. Going on 8 months of ownership soon.
  2. Steering wheel controls are retained (only a few people received units that couldn't do this).
  3. Ability to upgrade your GPS software to whatever you like. I still run iGo Primo. Included GPS antenna picks up signal pretty well.
  4. Plays a decent variety of .mpg and .avi files straight off an SD card, attached storage device, or off burned DVD's.
  5. Plays DVD's while in motion right out of the box.
  6. Bluetooth streaming works well for apps like Pandora from smartphones. Great quality when doing this.
  7. Accepts SD cards up to 32GB (largest I've personally tested).
  8. LOTS of options for adjusting treble, bass, balance, subwoofer settings, etc...
  9. Compatible with a subwoofer setup right out of the box. Also has wires to hookup a backup camera if you so choose.
  10. 3 Dimmer settings to lower the light output of the screen when driving at night.

Cons:
  1. No support from Semting any more, just through the factory (which has shown little optimism for warrantying these units).
  2. Some people reported MAJOR problems with their units such as a unit that shorted out and filled the cabin with smoke. Others, like myself, seem to have gotten fairly good units that continue to perform well. Seems hit or miss.
  3. Music Playback screen only displays first 10-12 letters of each filename and does NOT scroll so unless you label your folders well you might not know which song is playing even when looking.
  4. Bluetooth phonebook syncing is NOT compatible with iPhones of any variety.
  5. My unit (while displaying the audi playback menu on the MFD) will occasionally just have the Audio MFD screen disappear. At this point your steering wheel controls will still control the audio but you can no longer cycle through MFD menus for other things. This can only be fixed by stopping and turning the car off/on again. I remedy this by exiting the audio MFD menu once I've found the track I want and not staying in it too long, but still inconvenient.
  6. Screen has a LOT of glare. Would recommend buying a NuShield brand glare/screen protector for $20 if you buy this unit.
  7. With iGo Primo, the unit will still make a noise when the GPS signal is lost even if you mute ALL system noises on the unit. So if you're like listening to the radio, sometimes the radio will cut out for 1-1.5 seconds while the unit attempts to play a sound for the "GPS signal lost" but instead of playing a sound it just cuts out all sound for the unit. Very annoying but I solve the problem by simply leaving my SD Card for the GPS slot unplugged when I don't need to use GPS. Fixes that problem.
  8. Call quality with the built-in mic is hit or miss. Some people have said they can hear me fine, others said I sound like I'm talking in a barrel. I have a high quality microphone I've been meaning to install for months now to improve this issue but haven't gotten around to it yet.
  9. My unit doesn't sit 100% flush with the surrounding dash trim. On the top it does, but on the bottom it protrudes maybe 1/8" from where it should be flush. I tried over 10 times to get it to go in further but it simply does not. Doesn't bother me that bad but figured I'd mention it.

This is about all I can think of at the moment really. Hope that helps.

From what I've read (unfortunately A LOT), all these Chinese units are 'hit or miss'. I would be more willing to give it a try if I drove the car everyday, but my girlfriend does. If she has and quirky problems I'll have to hear about it:thumbdown:. So are there any options for us in the States that don't have issues? I have three single DIN HU's laying around, but I think it would look very out of place. If there aren't any good options, I'll probably just keep the stock 6-disc player...

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
From what I hear, it is hit or miss no matter which Chinese unit you go with. The only trouble-free unit you're gonna see is a Double-DIN head unit from Alpine, Pioneer, etc... and then spend extra to get the cables to ensure you retain steering wheel controls. That little extra cash is worth it for a lot of people though, I just decided to give this unit a shot and despite the quirks I've dealt with I'm still happy with my purchase thus far. If it ever fails I have my trusty Premium 7 I can always put back in.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
From what I hear, it is hit or miss no matter which Chinese unit you go with. The only trouble-free unit you're gonna see is a Double-DIN head unit from Alpine, Pioneer, etc... and then spend extra to get the cables to ensure you retain steering wheel controls. That little extra cash is worth it for a lot of people though, I just decided to give this unit a shot and despite the quirks I've dealt with I'm still happy with my purchase thus far. If it ever fails I have my trusty Premium 7 I can always put back in.

I think that's the route I'm going to go with. And if those support HD radio, update the antenna and then I'll probably have to upgrade the CAN-BUS controller.

Either way, I was pricing an RCD-510 out (the non-NAV touchscreen that comes in MkVI's), and while it's about $400-$450, getting the 9W7 BT is another $300, then having to upgrade CAN-BUS is $150-$200 I think, and the miscellaneous antenna hardware for HD. If I'm going to be spending near $1000, I'm going aftermarket even though it'll be more because I still have to upgrade the CAN-BUS and antenna. But, I have a better amplifier and NAV.

strubby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
07 GTI DSG

The aftermarket double DIN's you're referring to are universal units that you use a dash install kit with, right? That's unfortunate since the Chinese units look-so-factory. That was the biggest appeal to me.

What functions do the Prem-8 units out of the MKVI's do? I was just wondering if it'd be worth picking up a used one of them...

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
They have a SD card slot, 6 disc, touchscreen, aux, and it'll work with BT and HD radio, by like I said in the above post, you have to spend nearly a grand to do everything. The premium 8 is the RCD 510.

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Here Is the working copy I have of Primo 2.0 Had to make a few hacks but it has been running stable on my unit for a week now.

English TTS Voices, Skins, Color Themes, .dem and building files included. Just add maps and POI files.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Enjoy!

Had this in my car since Sunday. Works really nice, thanks again Chollas!

strubby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
07 GTI DSG
Guys, is there any reason to get this unit over another Chinese unit? Does anyone know anything about the Windows CE/Samsung units (Ebay)? It seems there are quite a few different options out there, just hard to decipher which is better. Pretty sure I'll be getting one, just have to figure out what one that will be...