GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

whistler fuzion DIY w/ newsouth dashpod

shmeeg

monkey with a hand cannon
Car(s)
07 RS GTI
i had this installed at a local tuner shop and it didnt work, so i snapped some pics taking it out for those of you who might be interested in a pod mounted radar detector.

this took me about 3 hours to take out, just because there is a ton of crap you have to take out of the car for all the stupid wiring. anyway, heres some pics and a bit of instruction to help yall out :biggrin: i didnt snap too many of the interior because theres probably multiple ways to run the wire from the dashvent to the firewall, so use your best judgement.

oh, im writing this backwards from the deinstall i did and from memory, so if somethings off, sorry.

Tools needed
Torx T-15
Torx T-20
10mm socket
13mm socket
zip ties
hanger, fishtape, etc for running wires
2A fuse/fuse holder
Dash trim removal tool (I got mine at TSS radio for like 7 bucks)

Engine bay

1. remove any intake heatshields and CAI

2. use 10mm socket to remove battery cables. remove NEG terminal first.

3. remove all the crap around the battery. what the hell is that foam part for anyway?

4. use 13mm socket to take off the battery retaining clip thing.

5. use 10mm socket to remove the battery tray.

6. remove the front upper grill portion.

i didnt take pics of this part. theres 2 T-20s on top to remove and 2 below the black part. unscrew those, pull the release tabs on top and voila, grill removed.

Interior

Dash vent (some pics swiped from h82bslo):biggrin:

1. remove dash vent (dummy)temp sensor w/ trim removal tool.

2. remove dash vent.

3. remove T-15 screw holding vent flow hardware and remove assembly.

4. remove 3 T-15 screws in dash vent.

5. use trim removal tool to loosen edges and lift the top vent assembly out of dashvent.

reference the stereo removal thread for more instructions.

I disconnected the hazard light wiring as well, but you dont have to.

Fuse panel/dash/lightswitch/driver underpanels

Left side

1. Grab a smoke cause this takes a lil bit.

2. Remove the cover for the fuse panel.

3. Pull out the metal clips cause you'll lose them.

4. pull out the headlamp switch. From the off position, push all the way in and rotate clockwise. The entire assembly can then be removed. Unclip the wiring harness from the back and set in your cupholder for the duration.

5. remove T-20 screw in headlamp alcove.

6. remove 2 bottom screws.

7. pull the plastic piece in front of the cluster out. it wont break, be a man about it.

8. remove the last T-20 for the left panel.

9. remove entire dimmer assembly before you pull the whole thing off.

Right side

Read this part thoroughly and remove all the screws first or youll end up spending an hour on this one piece like i did

1. remove the top T-20 screw in front of the dash.

2. remove bottom screws.

3. pop the cover off and remove the lone T-15 in the panel by the gas pedal.

4. pull out and up on the footwell piece to remove it.

5. use trim removal tool to pull out the center plastic piece above the 12v socket.

5. remove the hidden treasure that made me sweat for an hour.

Bottom

1. remove the screws and lower the....i dunno what this is called...how bout 'the piece'....lower the piece to remove the footwell light and odb port.

remember to line this back part up when you put it back together.

2. remove the footwell light harness.

3. remove the odb port. its easier if you do it one clip at a time than trying to do all 3 at once (obviously).

now youre ready to install the radar detector.

1. mount the 'control unit' in the dashpod, put the dashpod on the upper vent assembly and run the wires between the V part.

2. run wires through the outside left part of the vent housing and down below the steering wheel. this wasnt too bad to take out, but youll definitely need a hanger or fishtape to get the wires down through there. not much room to work with.

3. once you get the 4 wires below the steering wheel, connect the ANTENNA and POWER wire connectors.

4. run the power wire to the fusebox. like i stated above, i had this done, but i imagine you can find the fuse holder and tip that plugs into the fusebox at an auto or electronics store.

5. run the antenna wire through the hole in the firewall where the rest of the wires go through. probably best to use a hanger or something.

from the engine compartment, this is where the ANTENNA cable will come through. youll have a crapload of extra cable after you run the antenna line, ziptie the crap out of it and stuff it all back by this hole.

6. run the wire along the right side (as you look at the car from the front) and zip tie it to existing wiring.

7. run it through the opening just above the radiator to the front of the grill.

here it is from the front of the car.

8. mount the radar in front of the radiator and screw it in. the arrow just shows where the wire comes from.

now just put everything back together in the opposite order and youre done.

heres the finished look w/ the receiver behind the grill.

Last edited:

335 Trojan

Macro FTW.
lol between all my installs, i have prob done the interior part to that 5-10 times.

i have the fuzion...cant decide if i want to keep it or now

shmeeg

Car(s)
07 RS GTI

shmeeg

Car(s)
07 RS GTI
yeah, pretty much, especially considering i had to do all that just to take it out and couldnt even use the radar :thumbdown:

murcielagoGTR

Ready to race!
Car(s)
91 GTI
Is this the dectector that didnt work? I see now what you ment when you told me the story of the install :eek: What a royal pain in the dick! very gd writeup though :thumbsup: