GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Flash to Pass with High Beams, VAG COM

SwizzGLI

Car(s)
2006 GLI
Hey All

Don't know if anyone has run into this. In order to make the flash to pass halogens to come on with the high beams i needed to change the coding to european. After that everytime my speedometer hits 80 it will chime at me until I slow down below 80. Same sound as the seatbelt chime. Have you run into this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

AaronC

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mustang 5.0
Have you tried changing the speed limit setting in the MFD? I recently had to change my battery and it reset all my MFD settings in the intrament cluster.

-jakrbt-

.:R32 OG
Yeah, it's a standard MFD setting that can be changed via the menu. Has nothing to do with VAG-COM or UK coding to the instruments. Either set your Speed Warning higher, or not at all.

Mike_1

sublime,civilized,insane
ya its called euro mode or something i just had a friend do it for me its blinding

SwizzGLI

Car(s)
2006 GLI
the speed warning is not on at all. it it was it would only be one chime. its constant chiming that does not stop. any other ideas?

huntley

Purple Nurple
Car(s)
07 GTI
i really dont know i never us vag-com but could u have possibly set it in that.. maybe try looking at all the settings again... i really dont know im just puttin impput

babydubz

bagged life.
Car(s)
09 GTI (SOLD)
a little off topic, but did you lose your start up "beeps" when you switched over to EU/UK coding? when i was in NA setting, everytime i turned on the car, it would beep/ding three times but after switching to UK/EU it doesn't do it anymore

TornadoFast09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MkV GTI
Hey All

Don't know if anyone has run into this. In order to make the flash to pass halogens to come on with the high beams i needed to change the coding to european. After that everytime my speedometer hits 80 it will chime at me until I slow down below 80. Same sound as the seatbelt chime. Have you run into this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

do you need the euro headlight switch in order to have the flash to pass on with the high beams??

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
do you need the euro headlight switch in order to have the flash to pass on with the high beams??

No,
FTP with high beam is a result of VAG-COM settings only,
it will function with any headlight switch type.

Hey All
Don't know if anyone has run into this. In order to make the flash to pass halogens to come on with the high beams i needed to change the coding to european.

Yup, FTP w/hi beam will NOT work when the Instrument Cluster Control Module (J285) is coded to country US.
Many people choose GB - I have run GB as well, and never could identify any difference between GB and EU.
EU seems to make more sense to me as it is used for left hand drive cars.
At the end of the day it doesn't seem to matter.

After that everytime my speedometer hits 80 it will chime at me until I slow down below 80. Same sound as the seatbelt chime. Have you run into this?...

No, been running EU instruments for over 90k miles and have exceeded 80 more than a few times in that span.

What is the MFD saying when this occurs? Does it continue to read normally?

I have encountered constant chime when radiator fans failed and the engine went overtemp,
but that was accompanied by red dash indicator and an MFD warning to stop the car.:eyebulge:

I just checked the behavior of the two user defined speed warnings in the MFD, both
Settings - Winter tires -and- MFD - Speed warning
Neither triggers a constant chime with EU instruments in my car.

deer hunter mode

Last edited:

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
I love the 6 light highbeam mod.. never had a problem with Euro coding either in the states. Over 80 my fast audibly says... "go faster"

TornadoFast09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MkV GTI
so if i get vag-com'd tonight to the euro set up..what will happen? besides the ability to have the FTP/High beams..

SwizzGLI

Car(s)
2006 GLI
babydubz - my startup beeps changed to a higher pitched sound....i kinda like it

jetturbo - mfd reads normally. it just beeps at me. I have been blasting my music so I cannot hear it. it might be that I have it in GB mode instead of EU mode. Going to try that next.

TornadoFast - when you change the coding you will have ftp with high beams but you will have to switch km to miles and kmph to mph. easily done on the mfd settings. let me know if it beeps at you constantly when going 80 above

TornadoFast09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MkV GTI
So it's impossible to have miles? U can only have km and kmh? Because in the UK they use miles...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
So it's impossible to have miles? U can only have km and kmh?

WRONG! As long as you have the full MFD, and your US GTI does,
you can have any unit of measurement you choose.
Read this post, it specifically addresses this issue and all the others the EU or GB changes make,
with pictures (post was linked to the six light pic above)
Inner headlights on US market GTI (Bi-Xenon equipped) - function and settings