GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket DSG Gearbox oil cooler

johno

Volkswagen Autoliebhaber
Car(s)
R32
that i have no idea about. have to ask the moomoo. thinking about rob's dsg, i did a track day at eastern creek once in stinking hot weather and i never had prob with my dsg in the first '06 gti. perhaps get your dsg checked?

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
The top mounted DSG cooler I think is standard in both 8Z6 Hot Country and 8Z9 Super Hot Country on the S3. Australia delivered cars are 8Z6.

It should already have the oil cooler mounted on top of the DSG (oblong shaped unit that has fins on it with two radiator connectors on top) cooled by the coolant from the radiators. The part number for the top mounted one is 02E 409 061 B for ~$150.

Mounted in front of passenger side wheel behind fog light.
1K0 121 212 C DSG Radiator ~$350
8P0 121 333 B Air Guide ~$40 (may vary depending on bumper)
867 129 669 Grommet x 3
N 907 611 02 M8 hex nut shouldered x 3

The passenger side radiator assists the car's coolant which in turn cools the dsg via the top mounted radiator.

Dealer fit time allowed is 5 hours for the lot but could be longer as they probably won't have done one before.

Last edited:

gmc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2014 Golf R
The cooler mounted in the lower left guard of my car is fed directly off the radiator top hose to add additional cooling capacity to the engine coolant system. This also aids in DSG cooling as the engine coolant also circulates through the heat exchanger mounted on the top of the transmission. I had a good look at the hoses and the supply/return points and they don't go anywhere near the transmission.

IMO, the best way to directly cool the DSG fluid is to mount an auxilliary radiator such as the one in the lower guard in the earlier vehicles and plump it direct inline with the feed to the DSG heat exchanger on the top of the transmission. This way, coolant will flow from the engine's cooling system, lose heat from the new radiator before flowing through the DSG heat exchanger and being piped back into the cooling system.

Adding a radiator specifically for the DSG fluid will be complex as a pump or feed off the filter assy will have to be made etc. This may also screw with the fluid levels in the transmission.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
The cooler mounted in the lower left guard of my car is fed directly off the radiator top hose to add additional cooling capacity to the engine coolant system. This also aids in DSG cooling as the engine coolant also circulates through the heat exchanger mounted on the top of the transmission. I had a good look at the hoses and the supply/return points and they don't go anywhere near the transmission.

Thanks for clarifying the operation :thumbsup:

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
Hey Robby, there's a Boxster currently on eBay for $15k; if you're lucky you might get it for low 20s, then you can throw in a Cayman donk. Don't turbo the Boxster engine.

You could probably get a US Boxster here for well under $15k, maybe already set up for racing. A massive saving if it's just for the track. Though you might even get a shady/tracked 996 for that price if you look hard enough! :D

Police auction drug dealer cars - as long as you don't mind the smell from the dead bodies previously in it!

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
You probably know these anyway but it's sometimes an eye-opener to see how expensive used Porsche cars are in Oz compared to the US...
http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=28
e.g. '01 Boxster S w. 3.6L (w. '04 C4S engine) & claimed $40k expenditure: for US $17k! http://www.boxsterforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22187

How cheap would a salvage one be? They are well under $10k on eBay US.
This guy's doing the same thing - for a track project: http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=200955#post200955

Go on, you know you want to!

Robby_jai

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3, AUDI Q5
thanks for all the useful info.

will look into everything suggested thanks boys :)

bj240z

simple_man

Passed Driver's Ed
There is one kid on VWvortex (from Japan I think) who had one made for him. Try to search archived posts. He had HPA turbo kit installed.

Generally I am told DSG's operating oil pressure far pass the point of what standard oil coolers can take. You need specially made cooler, pipes, adapters and know where to tap... Or some how remove factory heat exchanger and replace it with low pressure cooler. This way you loose transmission heating future done ny engine coolant.

Mounting additional water radiator to cool engine coolant before DSG heat exchanger will cause DSG to take MUCH longer to reach it's full operating temperature with coming from that adverse effects.

I read, that part of the problem is your coolant temperatures go well pass 90c (read your vagcom). If you can improve engine coolant cooling, than it will help DSG a bit. So you need ether larger/better radiator or use chemical cooling (water injection).

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
I suppose it isn't done yet, but I wonder if we will see series racing with dsg-equipped cars one day?

For example, the US Jetta TDI series for your drivers or a Porsche series for older gentlemen and ladies. Maybe we will see this with Nissan GTR-series racing, too. :)

Perhaps Robby could pioneer the tuning of dsg boxes for cool running in trackwork!

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
I suppose it isn't done yet, but I wonder if we will see series racing with dsg-equipped cars one day?

For example, the US Jetta TDI series for your drivers or a Porsche series for older gentlemen and ladies. Maybe we will see this with Nissan GTR-series racing, too. :)

Perhaps Robby could pioneer the tuning of dsg boxes for cool running in trackwork!

Volkswagen raced DSG siroccos at the Nuremberg 24 hour race and finished two cars in the top 10. The only gearbox mods were heavy duty clutch packs. You can see the stock DSG cooler in pics at the bottom of the page below. You could I guess make this cooler bigger?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3855643

POLARBEAR666

Ready to race!
If you want to improve engine coolant cooling then just do the polarbear radiator mod.

On another car

My coolant temp struggles to go past 87'c when before it would roar to 89 and the fans would come on.

10d

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 CW 5dr. GTI
Rob, here's some info I've got from Guy @ APR.
ARC in Japan is experimenting with the DSG cooler without much luck.
If you do happen to stumble upon something, please let me know too.
My car was fine on the last track day, cause I just have a DSG oil change.
I think this will help with the problem, but would be an expensive exercise to change oil everytime you track the car....bummer....

BTW, Did you manage to get a new wheel?

FYI, moomoonel is also building a new track car.