GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AVIC 900bt. Can anyone provide me a walkthrough to do the install with Connects 2???

JP2008

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
I have the connects two adapter but have no clue what I will be doing. Anyone have or can provide a walk through on installing Avic 900bt navi unit? Thanks. Any help will be appreciated, even bypassing the e brake.

quality_sound

hmm.......
Car(s)
'21 GTI S DSG
What's so difficult? Cut off the DIN harness (the one that obviously doesn't fit) and then start matching up colors and making connections. There will be 3 or 4 left over wires for things like parking brake, illumination, speed sense, and reverse. Did yours not come with directions?

GoBlueVDubDude

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV, Red
PLus its connects 2 adapters, not just a wire harness where you would typically cut and connect.

There is no difference - just cut the DIN connectors off and match up the wires, as Quality stated. The only difference is that, since the Connects2 harness provides them, the reverse, speed sense, and illumination wires will be connected. Just ground the parking brake wire.

There is nothing to it; it is very simple, really.

VW_MKV

hater
Car(s)
GTI
they are talking about the DIN connectors on the connects2 harness......not the wiring connector on your car...

1, If u cut the DIN on the connects2 harness, match the wires to the wires on the harness that came with your Pioneer unit.

2, if u cut the wiring harness on your car, nothing will match and u are basically sheit out of luck

quality_sound

hmm.......
Car(s)
'21 GTI S DSG
Ok, here's an overview of a ready-to-go Connects2 harness.

And a close-up of the ends we'll be working with after cutting off the two DIN plugs and adding bullet connectors:

Connects2 and Pioneer (and everyone else for that matter) uses CEA standard color codes for the common wires so you'll need:

Yellow - +12V (battery)
Red - Accessory power
Black - Ground
White - Left front positive
White/Black - Left front negative
Gray - Right front positive
Gray/Black - Right front negative
Green - Left rear positive
Green/Black - Left Rear negative
Violet - Right rear positive
Violet/Black - Right rear negative
Orange (with no tag) - Illumination
Orange (WITH the tag) - Reverse Gear
Green (WITH the tag) - Speed Pulse or VSS
Pink - Muting (You won't need this)
Blue - Radio on control wire/booster (I'm not what this one does as I didn't use it and neither will you, but I'm thinking remote turn on from the OEM HU maybe.)

These wires will match up color for color up until the last four (orange w/tag, green w/tag, Pink, Blue). You can use bullets like I do (I change radios a lot), butt connectors, or solder and heat shrink. It's up to you.

The small black 14-pin plug goes into the CAN-BUS decoder.

If you purchased the steering wheel control adapter (called a "control lead") then the small 12-pin connector on that connects to the other side of the CAN-BUS decoder.

This end will plug into your HU (if you purchased the steering wheel control adapter)

At this point you'll have mated the Pioneer harness with the Connects2 harness and it's all plug and play from there.

Last edited:

GoBlueVDubDude

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV, Red
Ok, here's an overview of a ready-to-go Connects2 harness.

And a close-up of the ends we'll be working with after cutting off the two DIN plugs and adding bullet connectors:

Connects2 and Pioneer (and everyone else for that matter) uses CEA standard color codes for the common wires so you'll need:

Yellow - +12V (battery)
Red - Accessory power
Black - Ground -
White - Front Left positive
White/Black - Front left negative
Gray - Front right positive
Gray/Black - Front left negative
Green - Left rear positive
Green/Black - Left rear negative
Violet - Right rear positive
Violet/Black - Right rear negative
Orange (with no tag) - Illumination
Orange (WITH the tag) - Reverse Ger
Green (WITH the tag) - Speed Pulse
Pink - Muting (You won't need this)
Blue - Radio on control wire/booster (I'm not what this one does as I didn't use it and neither will you, but I'm thinking remote turn on from the OEM HU.)

These wires will match up color for color up until the last three (green w/tag, Pink, Blue). You can use bullets like I do (I change radios a lot), butt connectors, or solder and heat shrink. It's up to you.

The small black 14-pin plug goes into the CAN-BUS decoder.

If you purchased the Pioneer steering wheel control adapter then the small 12-pin connector on that connects to the other side of the CAN-BUS decoder.

This end will plug into your Pioneer (if you purchased the steering wheel control adapter)

At this point you'll have mated the Pioneer harness with the Connects2 harness and it's all plug and play from there.

Quality, could the blue wire be for the amplified AM/FM antenna? Maybe that connects to the antenna adapter (like the Metra 40-EU55) to provide power to the antenna amplifier? Could you measure the voltage on this wire with the radio on and off? If it is 12V that is switched on and off with the radio (though I doubt this is the case), it could be used for that.

I am really curious about this because the F90BT manual states that the blue antenna wire in the Pioneer harness should not be used for powering an antenna amplifier. Therefore, I am kind of wondering which lead I should use to power my adapter up.

By the way, I am really enjoying following your thread on your build over at DIYMA. That's a very nice system you are building; I'm a bit jealous! Since you are obviously pretty knowledgeable about car audio, what is your opinion on the Hertz HSK163's, as far as SQ? I've heard good things about them, but would like your opinion, as I respect it. I was also wondering how tough they would be to install? I know I would need some MDF rings for the 6.5", but what about the mid and tweet? Pretty much drop-in? Last thing; where is a good place to get a couple of MDF rings, should I end up getting these speakers? Thanks in advance for your help! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

quality_sound

hmm.......
Car(s)
'21 GTI S DSG
I can't say if it's remote turn-on or not. I'm back to an OEM HU but I can check it out when I swap my 510 in. I'd just use the Pioneer wire. That's what I did with my D3 and it was fine.

GoBlueVDubDude

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV, Red
I can't say if it's remote turn-on or not. I'm back to an OEM HU but I can check it out when I swap my 510 in. I'd just use the Pioneer wire. That's what I did with my D3 and it was fine.

Thanks! I figure the Pioneer lead is fine, as the antenna amp draws very little current. I'll just use that.

Also, I just added a bit to my last post. More questions for you. Thanks!

quality_sound

hmm.......
Car(s)
'21 GTI S DSG
Honestly, I've never heard a car with Hertz in it. Having said that, some people who's opinions I trust have a lot of good things to say about them. From what I gather they're supposed to be a drop-in for all locations so other than the rings it should be a piece of cake. Any local shop should be able to make a set of rings for you. You can even do it with a jig saw and some wood. I MUCH prefer Birch to MDF but that's your call. The rings should NEVER seen any water because of the door design so it might not be a huge deal.