GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help with LOC fast plz!

HyeWarrior

Banned
Car(s)
GTI
So I'm trying to connect my Amp.. I bought an amp wiring kit this morning, and I've disassembled almost everything including the glove box, the side floor panels and the back seat... I saw I needed a LOC converter after I took out the radio, so I ran down and bought one (fucking expensive too! $50!), and now I'm clueless as to how I hook this:

to this:

Help? :frown:

punkfreak

Passed Driver's Ed
i dont know what the red black and blue hook up to but from the colors i am guessing it is ground is black acc is red and blue is remote turn on and the gray and white wires hook up to the rear speaker wires

blackmagic08

PP-ASEL
I replied to this for you in the general discussion forum post. Refer to that and get back to me with any other questions.

97C280

Stage 2
Your LOC shoudl tell you which wires goes with which speaker. I forgot the colors, but my LOC may be different from yours. I had 6 wires. White, White/Black, Black, Black/Grey, and Brown, Brown/Black. The two Brown wires are not needed. You need to tap a total of 4 wires, +/- for each side. My LOC did not need a remote turn on of any sort. Where did you buy the LOC? I got mine at Best Buy for $28 w/ Tax..

BTW, if your Amp fits under your driver seat, it should be best to place it there instead of on the rear seats or under the cargo mat. And I didn't run my wires thought he glove box, everything ran down the drive side. And NO, I have no sound interference from having the wires close by. In another thread, people said the way I wired everything was completely fine.

HyeWarrior

Banned
Car(s)
GTI
Yea I had no idea they're that expensive, but now I don't feel like waiting more and returning it to look around more...

This one has 8 wires...
Grey
Grey/Black
White
White/Black
Green
Red
Blue (remote wire)
Black

And I have a remote wire that came with the wire kit I bought earlier along with RCA cables, and there is a RCA input on this LOC... I would put the amp under the front seat, but it's too big, wouldn't fit.

The instructions that came with the LOC are very bare bone, they say which speakers the wires on the LOC need to go to, but I have no idea how to do this...

I don't know the first thing about where I'm supposed to put the wires and which wires are the car's speakers?

I think thats what I need to know now, where the wires of the car's speakers are and how I connect these to them...

Thanks for helping guys

HyeWarrior

Banned
Car(s)
GTI
There should be a wiring diagram on your radio that tells you what pins go to what speakers on your factory harness. Then just tap these wires off of the harness with T-taps.

i don't have anything like that on the radio, it's just a manuf bar code and other useless stuff...
And what are T-taps?

HyeWarrior

Banned
Car(s)
GTI
Ok so I found this online
Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Red/Yellow
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: The radio harness does not provide a switched power source. Run a wire to the fusebox or ignition switch harness for switched power.
Car Radio Ground Wire: Brown
Car Radio Illumination Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown/Green
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Blue
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown/Red
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Black
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: N/A
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Red/White
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/White
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Red/Violet
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Violet
http://www.modifiedlife.com/2007-volkswagen-rabbit-car-radio-wiring-diagram/

So now how do I connect the LOC's wires and these wires?

HyeWarrior

Banned
Car(s)
GTI
Ok so I figured out whats a t tap, but one more question before i run down to Walmart to buy some... What guage wires are the ones on the back of the head unit?

97C280

Stage 2
Wire the White & Black wires from LOC to:

Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Red/White
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/White
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Red/Violet
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Violet

I think its maybe a 16/18 gauge... I think regular T Taps should work fine. It looks like your white & black wires are the same as mine. I don't know how your remote turn on works on the LOC, so I can't help you out there. Just look for where the rear speakers L & R are located on the OEM Harness add the T Tap on along with the corresponding wires from the LOC and use a set of pliers, and push the metal clip down completely, be careful not to go through. Then lock it shut with the clip. Very simple.. If you want to make sure its secured, use electrical tape and wrap the T Tap and wires so it doesn't come loose.

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
It's a powered LOC so it uses the remote, +12v, and ground to power and turn itself on/off. That's why the extra wires are there obviously. Other than that it's simply tapping into your OEM wires for the rear speakers, and then running the RCA's from the LOC to the amp input.

HyeWarrior

Banned
Car(s)
GTI
ok well they didn't have T taps, so I got quick connects: http://cgi.ebay.com/500-BLUE-18-14-...CONNECTOR_W0QQitemZ380084654634QQcmdZViewItem

I got the 18 to 16 gauge, they should be suitable substitutes for the T taps...

Now I have just a couple more questions for you guys.

1. The ground wire coming from the LOC. Do I have to put a ring terminal on that and fasten it down somewhere? It's a really short cable, so I'm gonna have to extend it with whatever I can find hopefully...

2. The red wire coming from the LOC. It says on the instructions "Red to +12 volt input of amplifier". How do I do this? I understand I'm going to have to extend it somehow to make it reach the trunk, but how am I going to mount the really thick wire coming from the battery and this one to the Amp?

3. Can I extend just those two wires I listed above with 18 gauge speaker wire? Thats the only thing I have laying around right now...

97C280

Stage 2
ok well they didn't have T taps, so I got quick connects: http://cgi.ebay.com/500-BLUE-18-14-...CONNECTOR_W0QQitemZ380084654634QQcmdZViewItem

I got the 18 to 16 gauge, they should be suitable substitutes for the T taps...

Now I have just a couple more questions for you guys.

1. The ground wire coming from the LOC. Do I have to put a ring terminal on that and fasten it down somewhere? It's a really short cable, so I'm gonna have to extend it with whatever I can find hopefully...If the wire is thick enough for the ring terminals then it should be fine. Find a bolt some where in the dash area and fasten it there.

2. The red wire coming from the LOC. It says on the instructions "Red to +12 volt input of amplifier". How do I do this? I understand I'm going to have to extend it somehow to make it reach the trunk, but how am I going to mount the really thick wire coming from the battery and this one to the Amp?
You do not wire the Power from the amp to anything else, Only the battery. I don't know what the 12V on the LOC should go to but I think it's only to power the LOC.. But if you said the 12V is needed to wire to the amp then, you would need to buy some 18-20Gauge wires to tap onto that existing 12V wire to the Amp. For the 12V source of the LOC, you can either tap it to an existing 12V on the HU (if there is any) or get a Add-A-Circuit from your local auto parts store and get your power source from the Fuse Box.

3. Can I extend just those two wires I listed above with 18 gauge speaker wire? Thats the only thing I have laying around right now...No, speaker wire is for speakers. Get a 18-20Gauge electrical wire, may be from your Amp Wiring Kit.

Hope that helps.

97C280

Stage 2
It did help, but with the red cable, how should I hook it up to a 12V power source?

12V power source from the LOC? I don't want to give you the wrong information as my LOC didn't require it.

But if you're talking about the 12V Remote Turn on for the amp. For me, I wired it to a Add-A-Circuit to my Fuse box on the drive side.