GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Questions about DSG

x-star

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey everyone. I have been floating around this forum for about a week now while deciding if I should pick up a GTI or not. There is some good information and I thank you all for the ability to read your thoughts about this car. I test drove a DSG and a manual the other day and I am very impressed. I owned one of the first B5 Passat in the country back in 1998 when the 1.8t first surfaced in the VW line up and loved the car. Granted, it had a Tiptronic which prevented my Stage 5 turbo upgrade to a lousy 130mph due to the transmission but, thats another story.

My question is, what is the deal with this DSG. To me, especially after driving it, it just seemed like a glorified Tiptronic because of the paddle shifters.The Tiptronic was the one thing that I hated about my Passat and is one of the major reasons for getting rid of it. The DSG seemed like it shifted just as slow and the Tritronic and there doesn't seem to be any reason other that convieniance of not having to use a clutch. IMO, a stick is the only way that you can get the real feel of a car and I just don't think that the DSG is anything other than a Tiptronic with paddles.

I am sorry if my opinion upsets some but I am also assuming that there must be something great about the DSG that I either didn't experiance durring my test drive or have yet to read in this forum. If so, can someone please explain wy the DSG is getting so much hype. Thanks guy and gals.

Brian:headbang:

davesee

FIA GT Champion
x-star.. my opinion here my be a bit biased because I have DSG. And don't get me wrong, I do miss the feel of a manual trans... But the DSG has a faster 0-60 since the lack of forward power loss between shifts. Since the DSG has two clutches it shifts quite quickly under heavy accelleration.

The decision is ultimately yours anyhow, so whatever you enjoy driving the most is what you should choose.. I also live in the city, which manual tranny can get realllly tiresome.

There is a video posted on here somewhere showing the advantages of the DSG when it comes to performance..

Best of luck deciding on a GTI, I pretty damn sure if you decide to get one your gonna love it!

GTI2007

The first time I clicked it I could see the video. Now I just clicked it again, 1 minute after the first time, and now I can't see it. Get a "page not found" warning.

x-star

Passed Driver's Ed
nomios said:
Seems like you have already made your descion. Why ask for others opinions? I mean you drove it and still did not care for it...

Like I said, maybe there was something that I didn't experiance while driving it or maybe there was something that I didn't hear about yet. For instance, I was not aware of the faster 0-60 times and I did not know about the "two clutches".

Maybe you could offer constructive critisism instead of responding like you did. I was hoping this web site wouldn't have people like this.

davesee, thanks for the input. I have to step away from the computer for a few hours but I will watch videos when I get back. Thanks again.

Brian

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
Id say the DSG is definetly a gr8 piece of german engineering but.....the choice as to whether you go for auto(hybrid or otherwise) or manual is a personal choice regardless of the vehicle and yeah the DSG does do a lot to come close to that hybrid feeling but dont let it affect your choice of the car...if anything as has already been said...if your an auto fan then you will always go for the DSG else stick with the manual - its a personal choice and will always be that way but dont let it detract you from the joy of driving the MKV GTI :thumbsup:

nomios

Touring Car Champion

dwl137

Touring Car Champion
If I'm not mistaken this forum is for asking questions to learn about the car and it's parts. If you are sick of seeing people ask the same question then stop reading them. He came here to get some help and our opinions on a subject. If you dont want to contribute your opinion or help him out the least you can do is move along and let those that want to help him do so without bashing him for asking a question.

With that said:
I have driven both now, and myself come from a line of manuals in my past. I have yet to make my decision which I am going to choose when I purchase my car in a few months. The DSG is un-doubtedly faster. However if you get the most enjoyment out of rowing your own gears, then go for that.

Like mentioned above the DSG incorporates two wet clutches to select the gears. 1-3-5 on one clutch and 2-4-6 on the other. It's not an tiptronic auto like the Passat becuase it does not use a torque converter and the other normal bits found in an auto. Basically it's an Auto-clutch manual.

Dont just settle for one or the other because everyone else tells you it's the better alternative. The best choice is the one that makes you the happiest when you're driving it, whether it be the DSG or Stickshift Manual.

sarahvtec

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Shifting slow? Do you know if you were in "D", "S", or Tiptronic mode? I found there is a 1/2-1 second lag when paddle-shifting in tiptronic mode but none in "D" or "S" modes.