GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How many miles before chipping? What about breakin

MAlby7

Oval Newbie
I've heard of people chipping the car the day after delivery and other have waited until the break in. I'd wait till after the break in just because the engine would probably break in better at stock settings.

jeromy

Passed Driver's Ed
I dont think it matters when you decide to chip, it all depends on how you drive your car. If you are one to really baby the car and break it in for along time, you wont be accelerating hard with or without a chip. So i say, just chip it when you want. Im gonna chip as soon as I can.

99swift99

Go Kart Champion
Since I wouldn't drive like a maniac during break-in even with a chip I'll probably just wait until I'm almost broken-in and then chip the sucker so when I hit breakin I can let her rip! :burnrubber: With the horsepower numbers Milltek was able to get from their car with just chip and exhaust I cant wait to see what it does for my car.

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
err ok.. whats a break in? and i thought chipping was illigal....?
me = noob

Brandon

Oval Newbie
Break in is basically like wearing in a new pair of shoes. The idea is you slowly let oil get everywhere it needs to go and let the engine loosen up a bit before giving it horns. Some guys believe in, others don't. Kind of a mystery really.

Chipping isn't illegal, it's just not approved by manufactures and it will void the warranty if detected. But it's perfectly legal.

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
lol i chipped at 350 miles :)

you break-in the car the way you wanna drive it. run it in hard.... seat those rings, it's the best thing for it. dont abuse it but if you're easy on an engine you dont create enough combustion pressure to apply pressure on the rings and they wont seat to the cylinder. its not as critical on cars but its life or death on small engines like motorcycles.

GTI2007

Brandon said:
Break in is basically like wearing in a new pair of shoes. The idea is you slowly let oil get everywhere it needs to go and let the engine loosen up a bit before giving it horns. Some guys believe in, others don't. Kind of a mystery really.

Chipping isn't illegal, it's just not approved by manufactures and it will void the warranty if detected. But it's perfectly legal.

In Belgium, where I live, you can buy a chip from ABT at the VW-dealer and they even install it. To bad it's only a powergain to 230 hp and 229 lbs-ft, but you keep your warranty

jayclap

¿quieres fast?
you break-in the car the way you wanna drive it. run it in hard.... seat those rings, it's the best thing for it. dont abuse it but if you're easy on an engine you dont create enough combustion pressure to apply pressure on the rings and they wont seat to the cylinder. its not as critical on cars but its life or death on small engines like motorcycles.

Wholy poop! I've been babying the throttle because I was told to shift early and go easy for the first 1,200k. So far i've driven about 750 miles. I will eventually drive it hard.

A.) Is it too late to seat the rings?
B.) Can I drive the hell out of it now?
Thanks

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI Pkg 0
I have always firmly believed in breaking in an engine HARD!

There is plenty of solid evidence to back up this theory and it's not just relevant to motorcycle engines either.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

To each their own, but I say BEAT ON IT! :thumbsup:

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
mike is correct, people who do drive hard tend to get more inital power than people who are easy on their engines..