GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

porsche calipers

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
Hey guys

quick question. if you just purchased the calipers ONLY would that work or do you HAVE to get the rotors as well? or i saw on ebay you can buy porsche caliper decals to put on your own calipers is that cheesy???

L-Dub

Go Kart Newbie

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Cheezey

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
chchchcheezy

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
but as far as the actual calipers fitting any1 know?

TopGearNJ

Ready to race!
LoL no one answered his questions we just shot him down immidiately that is the funniest part of this thread.

CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZY dont do it you dont drive a porsche so why have their calipers?

Oscar

Touring Car Newbie
i dont drive a porsche but why not stop like one, even tho are gti's are good theres better cars and if we can borrow there parts why not ;), but no sorry dont know if you.

Cheers and if it does work keep us informed.
Oscar

Neon Guy

Tin Can Racer
Car(s)
1998 SPEC Neon
If the Porsche Rotor is larger/ thicker than the GTI Rotor... then you will need the calipers and rotors.

Hopefully the wheel bolt pattern is the same, or that is going to open another can of worms.

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
It is impossible to answer your first question; about the calipers.

Like substituting wheel diameters, widths, and offsets to achieve compatibility with the suspension geometry, braking components also need to be carefully chosen.

The caliper primarily needs to be located along the centerline of the braking surface of the rotor. This is a function of the caliper and wheel bearing carriers together. The pad contact area needs to cover enough of the rotor to be effective. The center bore of the rotor has to fit the wheel hub. Finally, the bolt circle for the lug bolts/nuts to attach the wheel to the hub have to match. Simply buying matching "Porsche" calipers and rotors doesn't cut it.

A lot of good info here. To answer the OP question, ECS tuning is going to be coming out with BBK kits utilizing the Porshe rotor/calipers within the next few months. I contacted them back in Sept about this. It will be a similar selection to their Mk4 options that are available now.

Too many uninformed buyers spend good money on "big brake kits" with no other idea than bigger is supposed to be better. Mismatching some Porsche caliper pistons of significantly larger displacement can actually lead to a loss of braking power when the original VW master cylinder piston cannot fully exercise the brakes. No "BBK" I'm aware of includes a matching master cylinder or even an upgrade or retrofit. In this case, I'd recommend the stickers. You'll be safer on the streets that way.

This is a bit more sketchy. There are a lot of well regarded, high performance manufacturers of brake kits that do extensive research before releasing BBKs. Brembo, StopTech, Wilwood, Alcon, etc are just a few here. AP racing in the EU is another that comes to mind.

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
This isn't like the A3 no-noise pipe debate. The pressure exerted upon a closed system of brake fluid needs to be able to move the brake caliper pistons. If you increase their size, you have to increase the pressure required to move them. If you don't do it by upgrading the master cylinder, then you must do it by moving that master cylinder piston further. I don't know about your car, but I think your pedal bottoms out the same place mine does. So, if you can't increase pressure with more leverage and you don't allow yourself a means of increasing it through swept volume, the net effect is lower pressure at the brake caliper. And that means poorer brakes... even if they are "bigger."

Well I didn't bring an EA pipe up in my comments so...

The thing you are ignoring about saying lower pressure equaling less braking force is that you are applying that lower pressure (which is arguable too) over a greater surface voulume. You have increased not only rotor clamping surface area, but also piston clamping area. Lower pressure over a an increased volume will exert a similar force. If it did not, then your braking distance would increase with stopping efforts, not remain the same. As typically happens with a BBK. Let's avoid that "my car stops better with a BBK" argument as in general this doesn't hold true either. You are doing a BBK for fade resistence, not stopping distance improvement.

What your argument also misses is the simple real world results of people who run BBK's on their BMW, Audi, VW, MINI, etc. They do not, in general, experience increased stopping distance, as would occur with lower clamping force (the sum of pressure and surface area), almost universally there is no significant change in braking performance as measured in stopping distance. Or at most a negligible decrease in distance, but improved fade resistence and improved track/repetative application performance.