GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Squeaking stock springs?

notsolinear

Takes his fast for rides
I thought I had this problem whipped when I found out my dealer didn't take out the black plastic spacers that were wedged in my front springs. However as time goes on, I realize the slight squeaking is still here (even with them removed).

It's quiet enough I don't hear it with the windows up. With the windows down I notice it every time the car pitches forward with slight application of the brake; everyday driving like slowing down before turning or pulling into the garage. Even the shift of weight when closing the door or hatch can make it squeak.

No other noises/issues related to suspension, turning, etc. If this could only be the springs, and it's harmless, then I'll probably just leave it because I don't trust my dealer to not end up making things worse (which they have a history of). If there's a possibility this is something more serious though, I'd like to get it looked at. Can anybody comment?

TopGearNJ

Ready to race!
I went to the dealer for this problem because i heard it when i put on the Parking Brake. He said the sound comes from the Parking brake, and i thought i was gonna be fine with that, but i still hear it when the car dips forward during downshifting or hard braking, it sux. I am going in for service in 1k miles for my 10k mile service, ill have them take a look and ill post the results when i find out.

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
I thought I had this problem whipped when I found out my dealer didn't take out the black plastic spacers that were wedged in my front springs. However as time goes on, I realize the slight squeaking is still here (even with them removed).

It's quiet enough I don't hear it with the windows up. With the windows down I notice it every time the car pitches forward with slight application of the brake; everyday driving like slowing down before turning or pulling into the garage. Even the shift of weight when closing the door or hatch can make it squeak.

No other noises/issues related to suspension, turning, etc. If this could only be the springs, and it's harmless, then I'll probably just leave it because I don't trust my dealer to not end up making things worse (which they have a history of). If there's a possibility this is something more serious though, I'd like to get it looked at. Can anybody comment?
I had it at first, i really noticed it just getting into my car, and thats saying something because i only weight 125lbs. Anyways, it has gone away... thank god. I do however somtiems notice.... creeks (if thats even the right word, kinda like a log home settling) when i pull hard turns soemtimes, thats bothering me.

notsolinear

Takes his fast for rides
I went to the dealer for this problem because i heard it when i put on the Parking Brake. He said the sound comes from the Parking brake, and i thought i was gonna be fine with that, but i still hear it when the car dips forward during downshifting or hard braking, it sux. I am going in for service in 1k miles for my 10k mile service, ill have them take a look and ill post the results when i find out.

Thanks, I'll be curious to hear what you find out. Mine's the same... I imagine putting the PB on while it's rolling a little would make it squeak, but it's general to anything that makes the car pitch.

notsolinear

Takes his fast for rides
I had it at first, i really noticed it just getting into my car, and thats saying something because i only weight 125lbs. Anyways, it has gone away... thank god. I do however somtiems notice.... creeks (if thats even the right word, kinda like a log home settling) when i pull hard turns soemtimes, thats bothering me.

Yeah... like I said I took those plastic "brass knucles" out of my springs and figured that had to be the source of the sqeak/squealing. It did seem like it was reduced for a while, but now it's more frequent again.

TopGearNJ

Ready to race!
I have to save up 300 dollars in 900 miles for my 10k service :-(, but i am gonna have everything looked at when i go, and im low on coolant so its a good time to go woot.

paquet911

Ready to race!
I was having the same problem and I took my GTI into my stealership and they said they took it out for a test drive and that the sound was normal. The exact quote was “that’s the sound the car makes as it settles" The funny thing is ever since I took it in the sound is gone. I am wondering if they just sprayed down the suspension with lubricant or something and did not tell me. Seems odd that the problem was fixed the minute I left the stealership.

However, I wanted to ask you all who are having the problem, does anyone's steering wheel now tilt to the left? I have heard from a few others who have a similar problem that there steering wheel is now off to the left. I know my wheel is a bit off to the left but can others please get back to me about this because we may have to make it a note to tell everyone about our problem as it seems to be common.