GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacement bumper cover - grill opening too small? HELP!

GruvDOne

Keeper of the Cheese
Car(s)
MkV GTI
Hi all...

Okay, I am in hell right now.

I needed to replace the front bumper cover on my 2017. I sourced an OEM one, got it painted and was set to attempt the swap today, after realizing I also needed a new lower front grill.

When I started trying to attach the new grill, I noticed it seemed strangely too big. I thought maybe it was the grill, but when I compared it to the old one - no its the same size and I can see it would fit easily in the old bumper...

Then I noticed the number on the sticker was different for the original vs the new one.

Original says 55114100

New one says 55114453

And then I busted out the tape measure and the opening for that lower grill is about 1/2 inch shorter on the new vs the old, even though the front face of the bumper is the same.

WTF?

Pics for reference:

Screen Shot 2024-04-13 at 4.35.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-04-13 at 4.35.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-04-13 at 4.35.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-04-13 at 4.35.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-04-13 at 4.35.44 PM.png

GruvDOne

Keeper of the Cheese
Car(s)
MkV GTI
The bumper was ordered by the store using my VIN so there is no reason for it not to match. I took it to the body shop that painted, and he indicated that it is a tight fit and would stretch... he also said he knew I wouldn't be able to do it on my own hahaha... I didn't even know about the stiffeners in the corners which I was not having luck removing... so its with him now, fingers crossed