GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PCV Delete Install Problem

Broll52

Car(s)
2006 GTI
Hi. When installing a PCV delete kit a screw head broke off and the seal is only 98%, now the engine light is on. Car runs fine. I’ve driven about 2,000 miles when this tiny leak now.

Is there any damage this may have caused?

Is it possible to just stick a piece of aluminum foil to plug the leak? Or will that cause damage somehow?

There is only a little bit an oily residue around the PCV valve. I’m afraid to remove the screws because I’m not sure if I’ll be able to reinstall it without having to drill out the broken one. Any insights?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Are you talking about one of the four screws which hold the PCV to the rocker cover?
If so, you can remove the PCV delete to access the broken screw. The rocker cover is plastic...of you truly have a 2006 GTI MK5. Once the PCV delete plate is removed, you can unscrew the broken screw using pliers.

Broll52

Car(s)
2006 GTI
Well, finally got around to fix this and find there’s not enough screw left to grab with pliers. I’m guessing it will need to be drilled out unless there’s some other way to extract it?

PCV_bolt_Small.jpg

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
You can do one of two things.
1) Try a spiral screw extractor (using the smallest bit); drill a small hole into the screw then use the extractor bit, turning CCW (counter clockwise). https://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Indust...004YOBF/ref=dp_fod_1?pd_rd_i=B00004YOBF&psc=1
You need to be mindful, during the drilling, that the drill doesn't bind in the screw and turn the screw inward any farther.

Or, using a Dremel with a thin cutting disc, cut a slot into the exposed portion of the screw and use a flat screwdriver. This will obviously cut into the plastic a bit (depends upon the diameter of the small cutting disc). But doing so shouldn't permanently cause you any future issues, as it will still offer enough for a screw to grab.
abgjfsoldkfjgb.png

OK...there's a third option; replace the valve/rocker cover.

Last edited: