GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Level

Whatsup guys.
I'm having a bit of a problem with my 2007 Golf 5 GTI (BWA)..

After a few thousand kilometers(sometimes less) the oil level light comes on and the engine oil is really low. I changed the valve cover gasket and it went quite longer than expected then again, Oil was low.. VERY low.
Anyone gone through the same thing or have any idea why I keep losing oil..

Sent from my HTC Desire 820G PLUS dual sim using Tapatalk

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
Regards,
I speak / think in miles but converting "a few thousand Kilometers" is around the "One quart every thousand miles" that us turbo-GTI drivers are supposed to accept (Per VW). I check my oil level every 200 miles (322 Kilometers) and usually have to add 4oz. to top it back off. That oil light comes on when your about 1 1/2 to 2 quarts low which would be within the kind of distance you quoted depending on your driving style. The PCV system in these cars is a major culpret and a lot of owners install Catch-Can systems for the purpose of stopping oil from being inhaled by the engine. You're still losing it though.
-What oil are you using? IE: VW spec 502.00/504.00/505.00 - 5W40?
-How often do you change it? IE: 8,000 Kilometers or less?
-How many Kilometers on the engine? Over 240,000 Kilometers?
Have someone drive behind you while you get on the car. Blue smoke in a corkscrew shape? Then it's blowing by. Bad valve seating, ring wear.
Do or get a compression test done. That will tell you a lot since you have no visible signs of oil leakage right? Just a few thoughts. Good luck!

Last edited: