GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oem speaker crossover

08r32SC

I'm new to this so bear with me. If I'm replacing my factory speaker with speakers with built-in crossovers whats the best way to bypass the oem crossover?

funkyronster

Car(s)
Golk Mk5
I know this is an old post, but it came up in a google search, so here is my solution if others need it.

My Golf GT had a 3 way front door speaker system with built in crossover. I wanted to replace with a 2 way higher quality Focal speaker system comprising of woofer/mid and tweeter. This meant the original xover had to be bypassed, so the speakers could be driven directly from the head unit. I didn't want to rip anything out or cut the existing wiring loom, in case the car had to be reverted to standard for sale in the future. here's how I did it.
I identified the main feed wires from the head unit using a multimeter set to continuity, also the output wires from the VW xover to the speakers.
Having identified the pins, all I did was unplug the xover, and then bridged the input wires to the woofer and tweeter (ignoring the mid).
It looks untidy, but this is version one just to prove it works. As you can see from the photo, you just have to bridge 3 connections on each row, the left 2 pins are the speaker feed from the HU, the next 2 are to the woofer, and the 2 rightmost pins are the tweeter. I just put copper wire into the plug and shorted all 3 together. The top row are the pos connections, the bottom row is the negs.
The result is that the speaker output from the HU is fed directly to the speakers. It sounds great, but that is down to the speakers you choose of course.
If the car is ever sold, all I have to do is replace the original speakers - woofer, mid and tweeter, remove the copper bridges, and plug back into the original crossover - all back to standard.
IMG_9899.jpg
IMG_9898 2.jpg

funkyronster

Car(s)
Golk Mk5
This mod will also work if you just want to fit a single coaxial speaker. Just bridge the 2 pins on the left, top and bottom.

I saw another post which did the same using the ribbon cable below the xover plug, but this was easier and less intrusive.

A really elegant way would be to identify and buy the male plug, same as fitted to the xover, and then just bridge the pins, but I didn't have the time or inclination to do that. It all depends on your skill and knowledge and what you have available. I just used copper wire because it was easy, although a bit untidy.

Last edited:

MK5-Jetta

Car(s)
MK5 Jetta 2.5
I know this is an old post, but it came up in a google search, so here is my solution if others need it.

My Golf GT had a 3 way front door speaker system with built in crossover. I wanted to replace with a 2 way higher quality Focal speaker system comprising of woofer/mid and tweeter. This meant the original xover had to be bypassed, so the speakers could be driven directly from the head unit. I didn't want to rip anything out or cut the existing wiring loom, in case the car had to be reverted to standard for sale in the future. here's how I did it.
I identified the main feed wires from the head unit using a multimeter set to continuity, also the output wires from the VW xover to the speakers.
Having identified the pins, all I did was unplug the xover, and then bridged the input wires to the woofer and tweeter (ignoring the mid).
It looks untidy, but this is version one just to prove it works. As you can see from the photo, you just have to bridge 3 connections on each row, the left 2 pins are the speaker feed from the HU, the next 2 are to the woofer, and the 2 rightmost pins are the tweeter. I just put copper wire into the plug and shorted all 3 together. The top row are the pos connections, the bottom row is the negs.
The result is that the speaker output from the HU is fed directly to the speakers. It sounds great, but that is down to the speakers you choose of course.
If the car is ever sold, all I have to do is replace the original speakers - woofer, mid and tweeter, remove the copper bridges, and plug back into the original crossover - all back to standard.View attachment 231624View attachment 231625
I am currently in the same boat as well , I purchased JBL Clubs for the front with a crossover and Kicker 4” for the midrange but I can’t get any sounds to the front speakers at all . I honestly don’t care about looks or reselling the car but as long as it works and functions correctly I am fine with remodeling the interior door panel to fix this issue . After you blocked those pins in the crossover, how did you supply power to the crossover ? An amp , or tapped into the existing speaker wire ? I did tap into the speaker wire for the woofer which had 2 wires but the mid range and tweeter have 3 wires so I can’t get any sound to them