GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK5 Jetta/Golf 10 Speaker System Replacement

MK5-Jetta

Car(s)
MK5 Jetta 2.5
Hello guys, I came across a really good deal on Crutchfield for some JBL speakers , I see the front has a 1” Tweeter, a 4” Midrange Speaker, and a 6” Woofer . The rear has a 1” Tweeter and 7” woofer , what I got to replace those are “JBL Club 64CSQ” and for the Midrange “Kicker 47KSC404” $400 deal .

So the Woofer and Tweeter set from JBL have a crossover, I was able to do the back speakers by removing the tweeter from bracket and supergluing it into a bracket provided onto the panel, and using the mount to get the woofer on. Drilled out the rivets with a 1/4 bit and replace with self locking screws . Now to do the wiring for the crossover, JBL recommends using an Amplifier. I didn’t have one so I cut the original woofers sensor harness back , and crimped the two positive and two negatives into the crossover, then connected the crossover to the new tweeter and woofer.

What happened in the back was super good bass to the woofer, but the tweeter kinda sound distorted a little bit. (Volume is about 35 out of 50. These speakers are rated for 95RMS, and my pioneer head unit is pushing 50RMS. Any louder than 35 sounds super distorted like they’re about to blow). Maybe I should redo the wiring from the original woofer to an amplifier instead ?

When it comes to the front, the original midrange speaker has 3 wires, but the replacement Kicker speaker on has two male ends, a + and - . I tried to solder speaker wires to the old harness on the new speaker, but it would not turn on. Nothing at all. I removed the wires and crimped what I thought was the positive to positive and negative to negative and still no power to the midrange.

One other thing, I also tried set up the crossover to how I had it in the back, however, the front woofers don’t have 2 negative wires and 2 positive, they only have 1. So I tapped into the wiring to power the crossover and send power to the tweeter and woofer, but only the woofer came on. The tweeter also would not power up in the front. There is a Green wire, Purple, and a Orangish Brown color wire (3 in total) . I tried to crimp the brown and purple wire together to the negative , and the green to positive for the tweeter, and still no sound for that or the midrange, only the woofer would work in the front.

I’m kinda at a standstill and not sure what to do or how to wire, if anybody has an experience on these MK5 Jettas please help !!! I can take pictures and show you everything I’ve done so far, thanks in advance for help.

Attachments

• IMG_9624.jpeg
    IMG_9624.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9623.png
    IMG_9623.png
    675.3 KB · Views: 40

MK5-Jetta

Car(s)
MK5 Jetta 2.5
UPDATE : Going to try to take a different approach . The only speakers that worked when tapping into the cars original speaker wires were the woofers, even after connecting to JBLs crossover . The front midrange and tweeters didn’t work, and the rear tweeters need a HPF to prevent those unwanted frequencies from distorting its sound . I turn the volume half way up but it doesn’t sound any different than the OEM speakers . So I guess im going to have to order JLs 6 channel AMP to power all10 speakers, since 4 channels will be dedicated the each JBL component speaker (95w 3 Ohms), and the other 2 for the Kicker midrange speakers (75w 4 Ohms). Also important to note I may have to cut out some of the metal in the door to fit the Kicker speakers, they are longer than the OEM midrange speakers and the door panel won’t close all the way with them in there need some more space for the back of them