GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K&N Typhoon Intake

Ruskull

A pretty easy DIY upgrade that supposedly gives you a gain of almost 19 hp according to K&N.

My question is, does the car need to be "mapped" for the additional cold air?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I read a report by Autobahn in Riverside back in 2006 or 2007 in Eurotuner(now Super Street) mag...They did some simple mods on a 2006 GLI and after each mod they dyno'd to show the gains.
They did a GIAC tune...then a DP...and finally an intake so they could show the gains added by adding a DP and then the intake.
Tune = 24whp over stock baseline [177 to 201]
DP = additional 4whp [201 to 205]
Intake = additional 1whp [205 to 206]
...and this was an intake added to a tuned mk5. Intake to a stock tuned car will not be more than a tuned mk5.

source: http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/project-car/eurp-0608-2006-gli-2-0t/

To answer...no, as said, you don't need a tune for the intake. At some point the stock airbox becomes restrictive and needs an intake or cooler air depending on use or stage requiring an hpfp upgrade...but the stock airbox isn't bad on these.

Ruskull

Thanks for the replies, I'm a bit new to these cars. I've had a 1987 Cabriolet and a 1993 Passat GLX, both of which I did some fairly nice upgrades to, but this is my first VW in a while.

The jump from Mk1 & B3 to Mk5 has been fun so far, but there's some quirky thing with this car such as the mystery driver side door auto lock doesn't work all the time, & of course the interior dome light switch is sticking.

Plans:

K&N intake (I already bought it and it looks easy)
Noise Pipe Delete with Canister & Firewall Pipe Delete
3" EuroSport/Milltek Down Pipe
3" Autotech Cat Back
Stage 3 Mounts
JOM Coilovers

Do any of you have advice on any of the above? I figure to upgrade to KO4 Turbo eventually, like when the turbo needs service anyway, and many of those other mods are more of less necessary right? This is my first turbo car so I know very little on the subject...........

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Yes...most of those mods are necessary for K04. You could do a lower trans mount first as the complete set of mounts likely not needed until you find that just a lower trans mount upgrade isn't enough to eliminate wheel hop at power take-offs. If you're going to eventually get to a K04...you might as well look into getting a HPFP upgrade and go stage 2+ tune while waiting on going K04, but look into cam follower attention needed and begin putting that into your maintenance schedule. You'll likely need to replace the CF every 10k to 15k miles once you upgrade the hpfp, and it is needed for best results from a K04.

Ruskull

Thank you ROH, I appreciate it.

To be fair I enjoy driving the car as is, but who doesn't want to unleash the beast every now and then?

I'll start with the intake install this weekend, and take it from there. Probably do the trans mount next, Stage 3 is only a few bucks more than Stage 2 so why not?

Then I'll talk to the local tuner shop, Black Forest Industries, to get the high pressure fuel pump with Stage 2 tuning.

I've heard about the cam follower, but that isn't too expensive is it?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
With mount staging...stage 3 will be quite stiffer than stage 2 and vibration may be more noticeable than you like.
CF is usually approximately $50 and a diy moment. There's a CF diy on my channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/zoomdis?feature=mhum

You could choose to hold off on the hpfp and stay @ stage 2 and still be very happy until you go K04 with hpfp. You'll either want to choose to tune to stage 2+ w/hpfp then K04 or stage 2 w/o hpfp then K04 + hpfp.