GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to manually open your fuel door

loosenutmk5

Golf Fuel door wont open release

Hi all, GOLF V .. ( this may also work for other models of Golf/Rabbit )
This is the quickest way, to open the Fuel Door, without removing any panels.

Tools: 1 x 180mm ( 7" ) long screwdriver ( or what ever you have … chop stick / rod etc ) .. : Torch
I arrived at the service station, the Fuel Door actuator would not open the fuel door. Hmm what to do and quick ??
I opened the hatch, and when i shone my phone LED light up behind the trunk/boot light, through those louvers, I could see that the Fuel Actuator door opener "bar/rod/lever" is connected to a White Plastic block..
I poked the screwdriver up thru the louvers, pushing the white plastic block upwards... the fuel door popped open. All over in 10 seconds !

The new actuator was the fix, changing that was easy.. it was a real bugger to remove the 3 x plastic covers/panels to get into change it .. ( It is best to use Trim Removal Tools to lift/unclip the panels, & not screwdrivers )

(i) Upper roof rear full width plastic cover/panel , where the roof meets the hatch door/hinges – Unclips.
(ii) Lower right plastic cover- ( Fuel door side ) Supports the rear parcel shelf, includes the Light assembly & 12v Socket - . Unclips and Torx25 screws. see various tutorials on Youtube
(iii) Upper rear right SIDE panel – Unclips, Torx25 screw & 10mm nut.

Last edited: