GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do I need a new tune?

jessdakota

JessDakota
Car(s)
07 GTI MKV
I got an APR Stage 1 tune about 16 months ago on my '07 GTI FSI. Since then, I have added a Carbonio Intake, done the BSH PCV revamp and replaced my DV with a Go Fast Bits DV+. While I feel like the car is quicker and the throttle is more responsive, especially after the DV+, I wonder if I need to have my APR tune redone to allow for the mods done since I originally did the tune.

I have a little flat straight country road that I used to use as a test strip to see if I could hit 100mph. Prior to any modification, I was always able to do so, even with 3 passengers. I hadn't done my "test" since prior to my tune, but the other day I decided to see what effects my mods had, and to my surprise, I was just barely able to achieve 100mph with only 1 passenger. While I realize that my method of testing is by no means scientific, I really expected to see an improvement...

I know that some tunes are customized to the mods on the car, but I don't know whether the APR Stage 1 is one of them or if it is the same tune on every car. I am sure one of you knows the answer to this question...

JessDakota

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Maybe not but I believe it makes the most of the mods you have, it does adapt.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I got an APR Stage 1 tune about 16 months ago on my '07 GTI FSI. Since then, I have added a Carbonio Intake, done the BSH PCV revamp and replaced my DV with a Go Fast Bits DV+. While I feel like the car is quicker and the throttle is more responsive, especially after the DV+, I wonder if I need to have my APR tune redone to allow for the mods done since I originally did the tune.

I have a little flat straight country road that I used to use as a test strip to see if I could hit 100mph. Prior to any modification, I was always able to do so, even with 3 passengers. I hadn't done my "test" since prior to my tune, but the other day I decided to see what effects my mods had, and to my surprise, I was just barely able to achieve 100mph with only 1 passenger. While I realize that my method of testing is by no means scientific, I really expected to see an improvement...

I know that some tunes are customized to the mods on the car, but I don't know whether the APR Stage 1 is one of them or if it is the same tune on every car. I am sure one of you knows the answer to this question...

JessDakota

The stage 1 tune really doesn't take advantage of mods and the ECU easily adjusts for the very slight differences your mods might make.

Comparing the performance you remember from a year and a half ago to now probably is not apples to apples. The stage 1 tune mostly provides midrange not better top end. Your apples are now a year and a half older, so things like boost and vacuum leaks, more worn spark plugs, more carbon build up etc etc come in to play.

When you go stage 2+ you will see another very nice jump in performance and improved top end.

For big difference in top end performance without giving up the great midrange of the K03 tunes, go K04.

jessdakota

JessDakota
Car(s)
07 GTI MKV
Would I be best off with K04 next or inching closer to stage 2+ by doing my exhaust? Can't afford to do it all...

JessDakota

alfmoonspace

Ready to race!
You probably heat soaked a bit I bet. If you ultimate goal is K04, start with general maintenance (spark plugs, filters, see if you have any vacuum leaks and so forth). You would want to make sure the car is healthy first and for most (if you have access to a VAGCOM, run it for codes. Then, get a downpipe (really any brand will do) and bump up the tune to stage 2.

Do things bit by bit if you don't have the means to dump it all in one go.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Would I be best off with K04 next or inching closer to stage 2+ by doing my exhaust? Can't afford to do it all...

JessDakota

Going straight to K04 is the least expensive way to do it. Doing it right is not cheap. Along with the turbo you need all the supporting mods. It adds up quickly even if you do your own install. However the results are fantastic. It turns the car into a beast on the top end.