GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch or Mechatronic

themechanic

Help. DSG PRNDS flashing sometimes. P2711 DTC

Hello,

I´m writing because I have a problem that´s been bothering me for a while. I have a 2007 Audi A3 8P 2.0 TFSI, BWA engine, DSG trans 02E, a little over 100k kilometers. In less than a year I´ve had the PRNDS light flashing about five times and now is becoming really annoying. The first time it happened I was stuck in a really heavy traffic jam, almost standing still, also I was going uphill, outside temperature was hell hot (32C), the car was revving by itself up to 1200 RPM from time to time (that fault was solved months later). I got the flashing PRNDS and had to turn off the key and then turn on again, car was working fine. I that moment I couldn't run a VCDS because I was out of town and by the time I plugged the scan tool showed no fault.

The second time it happened the conditions were similar (traffic jam, revving car by itself and hot temperature), when I got out of the jam the car was shifting erratically (spinning wheels at some point at relatively low speeds and shifting up and down in awkward moments), when I got to destination I had to put reverse and park, when I did that got the PRNDS flashing and had to turn off ignition and turn on the car again, fault was gone but I was uneasy driving like that. Got home and plugged VCDS, for the first time I got this code: 19143 - Unexpected / Implausible Mechanical Gear Disengagement P2711 - 004 - - Intermittent. I did some research but no concrete results on the web.

The third time, outside conditions were similar and I could notice a dangerously low voltage when the PRNDS blinking light manifested (I just installed a Defi Volt gauge because I was suspecting a problem with the charging system), the voltage when it happened was 12.5 to 12.8. When I got home I got the same DTC. Tip to the viewer: in these vehicles I´ve found very useful to install a volt gauge, there is no way to find a charging problem without it because they often manifest when you are driving and can´t have a multimeter against the windshield all the time

The other two times where on different outside conditions, no traffic jam, no heat. Dropping my girlfriend home I stop, put park, say goodbye, she gets down, put drive and PRNSD flashes. I have to turn off and then turn on the car. She lives in a downhill street, around 30 degrees.

Random note: I have noticed that these gearboxes shifts with more difficulty when you are uphill or downhill. Maybe anyone has seen this as well?

Regarding the charging problems I had to change the alternator and installed a 2 AWG wire from the alternator to the fuse box (voltage drop in that cable was around 0.5 volts). This solved the "revving by itself" problem and the voltage now goes around 14 to 14.5 when cold and 13.5 to 14 when hot. I´m still not satisfied with these voltage readings but charging system chapter closed (I hope).

I thought that my DSG problem was also solved and maybe alternator related until today. Dropped girlfriend, when shifting from P to D, I got the flashing PRNDS. This is the first time that happens since new alternator installed. Outside conditions, night, 25 C, downhill, 13.7 volts. The VCDS log that I´m about to show is the one that followed that fault.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 02E-927-770.lbl
Part No SW: 02E 300 050 J HW: 02E 927 770 AE
Component: GSG DSG 082 1401
Revision: 04808020 Serial number: 00000801230399
Coding: 0000020
Shop #: WSC 44551 111 44551
VCID: 19327E6CD04CD4F68C-804C

1 Fault Found:
19143 - Unexpected / Implausible Mechanical Gear Disengagement
P2711 - 004 - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100100
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 255
Reset counter: 40
Mileage: 102291 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2016.01.24
Time: 19:57:09

DSG condition: 40k service done by me (I´m a mechanic), the old oil was pristine, almost new. No metal or any other debris. After the first fault happened I panicked and added 0.5 liter thinking I maybe under filled the gearbox the first time. Did the DSG service procedure and I got the same 0.5 out of the box. So the level was right. Also this oil had no sign of any kind of debris.

I know that this post is long and probably boring for some, but if you have read until this point maybe you feel identified by my experience and want to share thoughts and ideas. I tried to be as detailed as possible to try to cover all aspects of the fault. These cars are lovely to drive but they are money pits!!!

Any help will be appreciated, this fault terrifies me because DSG problems are not cheap nor easy to diagnose or fix. Thanks for reading.

themechanic

Thank you donjuan1jr. The little info I've managed to gather suggests that the clutch pack are the culprit. You confirm that info. Thank you for reading and commenting.

rfteam

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW EOS
thank you everybody for providing all these information in this thread. i'got today the 2771 code :

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 02E-927-770.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 02E 300 051 R HW: 02E 927 770 AM
Component and/or Version: GSG DSG AG6 521 1975
Software Coding: 0000020
Work Shop Code: WSC 04940 001 00001
VCID: 2241FC96FD9FA72E48-8076
1 Fault Found:

19143 - Unexpected / Implausible Mechanical Gear Disengagement
P2711 - 005 - - Intermittent

i will have to book it for clutch replacement !