GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cam follower, intake cam, cam chain warranty question

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
Hey guys, been a while. So I was driving home Friday when my car lost acceleration during 5 pm traffic on a busy road. I brought my cam warranty extension paperwork to my local dealer and yesterday they handed me a $2500 estimate with one of the parts being the intake cam I took the car in for, as well as the broken cam chain and associated parts. The follower wasn't checked according to my paperwork and now I don't trust the dealer to do the job, should I contact VWOA about this since it seems the damage may have been caused by a failed follower or cam. I did a quick search and it seems this is a common enough issue around 80k, yet the chain tensioner isn't on the stuff to check list.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
If the chain tensioner took a dump and broke the chain, then no that warranty doesn't apply. You need to remove the hpfp and follower to check those parts anyway.

What parts need to be removed to check the cam chain and hydraulic lifter? What should we be looking for in terms of wear?

k04 and stuff.

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
The fuel pump was checked and deemed okay, however no mention of the follower at all. Given it's the old version and revision A cams with the premature wear issue I'd find it hard to believe after 80k there was no wear if the ordeal received a warranty extension and more importantly the follower wasn't mentioned anywhere on my paperwork which seems shady as fuck given how many have needed to be over the years.

Additionally cams from what I've seen are pretty well set into their location. Why would a cam need to be replaced after the chain broke cause normally those things are pretty durable. When my old man worked for a stealership they documented everything that was related to the issue.

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
After talking to an old high school friend of mine who is a VW tech in NY there is a reasonable chance this can be a warranty service. The dealer reviews here really suck on top of everything and that alone warrants a call to VWOA.