GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2008 2.0L moneyshift

SpeechLess

So the other day I bought a 2008 2L turbo and money shifted it like a total noob, it revved way past 8k, It still starts but is ticking very badly. The previous owner had a catch can installed that was filled with Oil and coolant. Blew oil out the exhaust, there is some oil in the wastegate as well. Turbo still spools but makes no boost. Was hoping for some input on what possibly needs fixed. Please don't flame and call me stupid etc, just looking for constructive input towards fixing the car, thanks! And possibly total costs of repair through an actual mechanic. Also has a very small oil leak under the car (very minimal). Also no discolored exhaust or anything. Only threw an under boost code

Last edited:

Passed Driver's Ed
So the other day I bought a 2008 2L turbo and money shifted it like a total noob, it revved way past 8k, It still starts but is ticking very badly. The previous owner had a catch can installed that was filled with Oil and coolant. Blew oil out the exhaust, there is some oil in the wastegate as well. Turbo still spools but makes no boost. Was hoping for some input on what possibly needs fixed. Please don't flame and call me stupid etc, just looking for constructive input towards fixing the car, thanks! And possibly total costs of repair through an actual mechanic. Also has a very small oil leak under the car (very minimal). Also no discolored exhaust or anything. Only threw an under boost code

Some ticking is normal. That would be the sound of the injectors. Is it something other than that? Rod knock? Try to isolate the location. Test the rods by trying to move the pistons through the spark plug holes. They should not move.

Coolant in the catch can says blown head gasket.

Oil in the exhaust is a blown turbo.

I doubt the turbo is completely gone or you wouldn't be able to drive the car faster than about 30mph. These cars are highly dependent on the turbo to make any kind of power at all.

There is no such thing as a "small" oil leak. Any oil leak is a cause for concern. Figure out exactly where it is coming from. I'd guess it's the turbo.

Boost leak is self explanatory. Get a smoke tester and locate the leak.

Last edited:

SpeechLess

Some ticking is normal. That would be the sound of the injectors. Is it something other than that? Rod knock? Try to isolate the location. Test the rods by trying to move the pistons through the spark plug holes. They should not move.

Coolant in the catch can says blown head gasket.

Oil in the exhaust is a blown turbo.

I doubt the turbo is completely gone or you wouldn't be able to drive the car faster than about 30mph. These cars are highly dependent on the turbo to make any kind of power at all.

There is no such thing as a "small" oil leak. Any oil leak is a cause for concern. Figure out exactly where it is coming from. I'd guess it's the turbo.

Boost leak is self explanatory. Get a smoke tester and locate the leak.
It does drive over 30, it has extreme power loss, and no I didnt drive it after finding out the severity of the situation. Also the smoke that came out of the exhaust was black, so it couldve been oil or because it was getting too much fuel, either way the biggest possible damage would still be the turbo right?

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Usually what happens in this kind of situation is that the valves do not manage toclose fast enough (their springs are not strong enough for such high RPMs) and get hit by the piston.

Therefore your problem is likely a bent valve, check the engine compression.

SpeechLess

Usually what happens in this kind of situation is that the valves do not manage toclose fast enough (their springs are not strong enough for such high RPMs) and get hit by the piston.

Therefore your problem is likely a bent valve, check the engine compression.
Will do, im taking it to a shop (god forbid the cost) to do a inspection of the engine. I know my stuff but I want it done right, thanks for the information!

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion

Perhaps pull the cylinder head cover and check that the rockers lifter are still where the should be.