GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. wireb

Fuel pump connector repair?

The connector on my fuel pump harness retaining ear is broken where it plugs into the fuel pump assembly. So every so often it pops off and the fuel pump stops working (took a while to find this the first time). Anyone know if VW sells a repair kit with the connector body for this connector...
  2. wireb

Genuine or ECS timing belt kits??

After 40k miles one of my timing belt idler pulleys has developed a squawk. Since the FSI engine is a interference type I want to take no chances of freeze up and snapping a belt. So out shopping for a timing belt and see ECS has multiple kits in both "Genuine" and "ECS" parts. Anyone have any...
  3. wireb

Min wet tread depth for Bridgestone Potenza RE050

Had my car into the dealer and they recommended I replace my tires and had a stack of options waiting for me... The car only has ~12k on this set of tires (and I use a set of winter tires) so kind of surprised I am due for a new set already. Looking at the tire what I think are the wear bands...
  4. wireb

Replacement summer tires. Need recomendations.

On my 08 GTI i have the factory set of Bridgestone Potenza RE050 and per the dealer they are almost in need of replacing after ~12K (I have a dedicated set of winter tires but not sure what the dealer was doing when this was a dealer car) So starting to shop for new tires. Any recommendations...
  5. wireb

Lube for door arresters and sunroof?

Need to do my 20k mile service and need to know what kind of lube to use on the door arrester and sun roof rails. Also is there any DIY info on cleaning and lubing these parts? (assume the door arresters you just smear some stuff on but cleaning the sunroof rails sounds a little more involved.)...
  6. wireb

When to switch from winter to summer tires

The 7 foot drift on the side of my driveway is now down to 3'6" and the roads are clear so time to think about tires again. When do folks swap from winter to summer? By date, average temp, ????? Just want to avoid wearing down the tires due to stupidity (running them to warm)
  7. wireb

Ghosts running the electric locks....

So lately I am noticing more that my electric locks sometime go off as I am driving down the road. Nothing too crazy just normal in town stop and go traffic. Checked the easy stuff (stuck buttons / remote bumping on something) and no luck so far. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
  8. wireb

Paint codes??

Ok where on the 08 GTI should I look for the paint codes? Did not see them on the drivers side door stickers where I would expect them.
  9. wireb

#%@#$@%%# shopping carts. Help needed with scratches

At home depot and came out to find a small dent and some long ass scratches above the front wheel on the fender :( I think I can pop the dent out easy enough (not very deep and can get to the back side from the wheel well). But I have no clue what to do about the scratches. They go from very...
  10. wireb

Locking lug bolts worth it?

Ok went to put my winter tires on and found out my GTI has locking lug bolts. So went and looked in the trunk and the socket to remove them is missing. So are ppl still stealing rims or is that no longer a issue? Choice 1 fight with the dealer to get a replacement tool. Choice 2 just have...
  11. wireb

A tale of tires: Need help/recommendations with a winter setup

Ok we got our first real snow today and and my 2008 GTI had no traction. (Almost to the point I could walk home from work faster). Now I was expecting some traction loss switching down from a Jeep but this just blew my mind. Some background this was a dealer car I bought this year from a MN...
  12. wireb

What oil do you use (US)

Just wondering what brands of oil folks use? I know I need a full syn VW505 oil but not exactly sure which one to go with.
  13. wireb

DIY trailer harness install

Got a couple PMs about how I put my trailer lights in so here's the details. (colors and pin # are for a 2008 GTI others check before tapping) First pull the carpet out of the trunk (or at least fold it back) to get access to the back of the tail lights. You will need to connect to the black...
  14. wireb

Help with finding a PN for a connector pin.

I am looking for the PN of a pin used in a connector. I am trying to make my trailer harness install look as factory as possible. I found a empty always powered fuse in the B block. But need a connector pin to add to the connector to connect to. Fuse is SB3 Pin is 32 in T40. From the looks of...
  15. wireb

Identify this clip...

Tore out just about everything in the back end of the car to run some wires for my trailer package. (Also some exploratory surgery for a future project but more on that later) And I found this clip just sitting on the shelf half way up the C pillar on the drivers side. Anyone know what it is...
  16. wireb

Best place to get shop manuals?

Looking for a place to order a set of shop manual for a 2008 GTI. Any recomendations? Thanks, Wire
  17. wireb

Anyone have a Curt hitch installed on a GTI or Rabbit?

Reading the forums and it sounds like the Curt hitch sits up higher once installed (ie comments of trimming the bumper) vs the hidden hitch / rease one. Can anyone confirm this and/or send a photo? I have the gutter from hell at the end of my driveway and my GTI will scrape if you come in to...