GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. NewToVW

Doh! First track day in two weeks @ Laguna Seca! Need brake advice.

A spot at a July 4th HPDE at Laguna Seca has opened up and I committed to it. I haven't tracked anything before, but I autoxed for ~8 years, so I won't be completely slow out there. Problem is my brakes have ~38k miles on them and the fluid is original. And the car makes 300 whp (unless I...
  2. NewToVW

Clutch Replacement: Lessons Learned

So with the rate of people modifying their cars to Stage II and beyond, and the direct result being the frequent death of the stock TSI clutch, it seems a lot of us are going to be replacing clutches sooner rather than later. I figured the MKV/VI gang could use a decent walk-through. This isn't...
  3. NewToVW

FS: Huffs w/ OEM Dunlop tires and TPMS - Norcal

Complete set of four in nice shape. Includes Dunlop SP Sport 01 A/S - 225/40R18 with 26.5k miles. Two tires are great with lots of tread; the other two are more worn, but still ok for quite a while. Includes factory TPMS. Two wheels have small, light curb checks... very fixable IMO. Also...
  4. NewToVW

Spring/shock combo for DD/autox/HDPE?

There are so many choices for springs and shocks for this car it is damn near impossible to research them all... nevermind find solid data on any of them! I need a spring/shock combination that will work just fine for commuting around 40 miles each way in California, and be responsive enough...
  5. NewToVW

New wheels = new pics

I'm no photographer and this wasn't exactly scenic, but I'm bored...
  6. NewToVW

DG Springs on Stock Shocks... 27K miles?

Worth the trouble? Or just buy new shocks? Currently at 27K miles.
  7. NewToVW

Mmmm... new wheels and tires on their way!

Wow, new wheels and tires have changed this car! Michelin Pilot Super Sports review 17" O.Z. Ultraleggeras in Crystal Titanium wrapped in the new Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Losing ~12 lbs per corner (coming from Hufs) + ridiculously good tires = fun.
  8. NewToVW

Considering new wheel/tire combo...

I'm currently running the stock Hufeisen wheels... Huf specs are: Wheel diameter: (in.) 18 Wheel width: (in.) 7.5 Wheel lug pattern: (mm) 5x112 Wheel centerbore: (mm) 57.1 Wheel offset: (mm) 51 Weight:29 lbs VW ETKA #: 1K0 601 025AH (wheel) VW ETKA #: 3B7 601 171 (center cap) Manufacturer...
  9. NewToVW

My UG color matched side markers

Overall, they came out good. The shade is just a hair darker than stock, which is what I've see for other people's attempts at UG color-matched stuff. I think once I wet sand or apply rubbing compound and wax in a couple days, the shine will come up and the color will look lighter. The paint is...
  10. NewToVW

Is this motor mount "fluid"? Pic!

Looks like a silicone-based white grease of some sort. The black crap is road grime. I found this blob of gunk sitting on the transmission case; right under the driver's-side engine/transmission mount. I've been getting this clunk/pop when I shift or change velocity at very low (parking lot)...
  11. NewToVW

S3 Intercooler - Not too bad with a K04...

I did a few logs today to check out how the S3 IC is holding up to the K04. I'm pleasantly surprised. I thought with the 20+ psi it would struggle worse than it is. This plot is the 3rd consecutive WOT run. I used the exact same procedure as I did in my first S3 IC thread...
  12. NewToVW

Who's running a single-mass flywheel?

I'm pretty sure my DMF is on it's way to an early grave. I gave the new K04 some good, hard driving yesterday and came away with a new 'click' sound coming from the tranny/shifter when I pull away in 1st gear or slip into 2nd with a little urgency. Which kit do you have? How do you like it...
  13. NewToVW

Results: APR TSI K04 Dyno

Car: 2009 CCTA Fuel: 91 octane California winter blend Mods: APR TSI K04 kit, APR Carbonio Stage I intake, S3 IC, OEM "D" valve, and AWE 2.5" catted dp I know some folks are going to bash these results, but please consider: Fuel used Zero ECU adaptation time (car was flashed on the dyno and...
  14. NewToVW

How To: Install an APR K04 on a TSI

I completed the installation this weekend. There are a few frustrating points during the process, but nothing a semi-experienced shade tree mechanic can't overcome. Definitely plan on spending the whole weekend on it. Nothing is particularly hard, but it all takes time working by yourself. An...
  15. NewToVW

S3 Intercooler - Installed and Logged

2009 GTI APR Stage I tune APR Carbonio Stage I intake AWE downpipe I used APR's installation guide for the FSI. It's pretty accurate for a TSI, with some very minor differences that can easily be sorted out. So, no need for yet another detailed installation guide. Instead, I figured I'd...
  16. NewToVW

Another TSI joins the APR K04 club!

Me! Ordered yesterday before the sale ended. Can't wait! Looking forward to making some top end power. :thumbsup: My setup will be very stealthy and not on the wild side at all: APR K04, Carbonio Stage I, AWE downpipe, and S3 IC on 91 octane CA gas. I plan to get the car on the dyno soon...
  17. NewToVW

AWE TSI downpipe installed and impressions

I bought this downpipe months ago from plac. But, for a lot of reasons, I couldn't find time to install it until now. The install was straight forward. I pretty much followed APR's instructions. The turbo flange nuts are not as hard as people make them out to be. Anyone with a decent...
  18. NewToVW

GTI vs M3... GTI wins?

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2010/04/2010-volkswagen-gti-better-than-an-m3.html
  19. NewToVW

Wife waxed E36 328i, lol

Ok, it's a pretty slow car, but... We're coming home from dinner the other night and I had knocked back a few beers, so I let the wife drive us home in the GTI (TSI Stage I w/ Carbonio). We hit a stoplight. It merges from two lanes to one lane shortly after the light. Wife stopped first at...
  20. NewToVW

MKVI RSB fits MKV?

So what's up with the MKVI RSB? It's thicker from the factory compared to the MKV's RSB. I'm guessing it will bolt right up to a MKV with new bushings? Anyone tried yet? Anyone have the part number?