GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TTE 535 Turbo good for daily driver ?

Cabra

Ready to race!
I’m considering buying a used mk7 R with full bolt ons and a TTE 535 turbo
Anybody have experience with this turbo running stage three tune as a daily driver?
Or would it be better to detune it to about a stage one or two for daily usage and up to three for track use?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I’m considering buying a used mk7 R with full bolt ons and a TTE 535 turbo
Anybody have experience with this turbo running stage three tune as a daily driver?
Or would it be better to detune it to about a stage one or two for daily usage and up to three for track use?
What kind of track use? I wouldn't fuck with hybrid turbos on a stock motor unless it's just the drag strip.

Cabra

Ready to race!
A mix of 1/4 mile track and hpde track days
Is the TTE 535 not good for aggressive daily driving and closed course track days

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
It’ll be fine for daily but obviously bigger turbos= more time to build boost. So the spirited driving portion might be affected but it’s not like it’ll be less of a good car

scrllock

Autocross Champion
A mix of 1/4 mile track and hpde track days
Is the TTE 535 not good for aggressive daily driving and closed course track days
for street driving I'm sure it's fine, spool is a little slow compared to more popular options like the eqt vortex. I assume the turbo is already installed? weird choice otherwise.

if it were me I'd detune it for road course, 400+ hp is brutal on a stock 2.0, much less 500+. not knowing the history of the car I'd ask for a compression test too.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
There's limits to how much you can manage having your cake and eating it too. You're spot-on as far as changing the tune for street and track. Every additional horsepower adds stress on almost every component of your car; and while some parts might be robust enough to handle a good deal more power than stock, all you need is one part to be overtaxed to leave you stuck on the side of the road. Track use might put the same stress, if not more, on the rest of the car, but it's for a much shorter duration. But still, as you've probably witnessed, many cars blow engines and drive-trains at the track. Running a softer tune on the street mitigates much of this. Doing so also also allows for running more streetable tires when you're not on the track. PLUS, as already noted, while bigger turbos can produce much more power, they also take longer to spool up, which can be a PITA when tooling around town.

If it were me, and I needed some degree of reliability from the car, I'd look elsewhere for a used R, given the potential for wear issues already primed to show up from the added stresses which the bigger turbo has created. Few people go through the costs and hassle of installing a bigger turbo without really pushing the car--frequently.

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
There's limits to how much you can manage having your cake and eating it too. You're spot-on as far as changing the tune for street and track. Every additional horsepower adds stress on almost every component of your car; and while some parts might be robust enough to handle a good deal more power than stock, all you need is one part to be overtaxed to leave you stuck on the side of the road. Track use might put the same stress, if not more, on the rest of the car, but it's for a much shorter duration. But still, as you've probably witnessed, many cars blow engines and drive-trains at the track. Running a softer tune on the street mitigates much of this. Doing so also also allows for running more streetable tires when you're not on the track.

PLUS, as already noted, while bigger turbos can produce much more power, they also take longer to spool up, which can be a PITA when tooling around town. But only you can determine if a good stage 2 tune makes sense for your purposes, or if you really need to run a bigger turbo and tune, with the associated liabilities.
this is backwards, and track use means 2 very different things here.

drag racing is very hard on the drivetrain when launching, but you're WOT for just 10-12 seconds, then basically idling. road course you're WOT off and on for 20 minutes at a time, with tons of heat being put throughout the whole car -- you can safely use a lot more power in a 1/4 mile than on a circuit.

on the street you can run an even more aggressive map since roll-racing is just about the easiest thing on the drivetrain possible--no low RPMS, minimal drivetrain shock vs. a bogged dig launch on a prepped surface, and your intercooler is working at peak efficiency.