GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Safe to firmware update?

Spod

Car(s)
2014 1.4Tsi ACT
I'm currently on MST2_EU_VW_P9122D (Patched etc.) mib-helper says the latest possible firmware update is MST2_EU_VW_P0883D.
Is it safe to update to this version from the file on mibsolution?
Not asking if mibsolution is safe more is the version jump ok?
Does it keep all your settings?
I'm assuming I'll need to patch it again after?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Why do you want to update it at all? Is there a new feature in the later release (doubtful), or are you having a problem at your current level that's specifically addressed in the later release? If the answer is no to both of these, and it's working fine as-is, I wouldn't risk updating it. Any firmware update has the potential to go sideways and cause problems.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I echo the viewpoint that updates are not always necessary unless you are encountering bugs/issues that newer software trains might have fixes for.

From what I have read, P9122D can be updated to newer P08XXD software trains without too much concern (as mentioned, there is always some risk of something going wrong so make sure you are comfortable with the level of risk). Some people will recommend P0879D as it still allows you to upload custom points of interest. P0883D is the newest but locks down some things like POIs.

If you do update, it should keep the existing coding and settings, but you will need to patch again afterwards. Make sure that a patch exists for the software train + region and your unit's specific hardware type (e.g., STD2Nav, etc.) before updating. Updating will result in a software version management (SVM) fault in the 5F module that can be cleared following the instructions from im-so-xory. To minimise some risks, you can connect your car to an external battery tender/charger (my recommendation) or run the engine to prevent power loss during the update.

Spod

Car(s)
2014 1.4Tsi ACT
I have no specific need to update, only been running the MIB2 for a few days.
I can find no reference to a fix or update list so hard to gauge but I always go on the basis latest is greatest :)

If no one says wow it's amazing it added xyz feature and fixed abc then I'll leave it alone.
Was trying to cross the t's and dot the i's on all the feedback for the train on mib-helper.

Spod

Car(s)
2014 1.4Tsi ACT
Never use handsfree, Carplay stuff interests me when I can get the USB/Carplay port working but otherwise not too fussed.
That's a useful site :)