GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Procedure to run EVAP readiness test?

Claudius

I'm hoping someone might know the exact procedure to force a mk6 GTI to run the EVAP readiness test, or what conditions need to be present. I'm up for my first emissions test in Ohio in a couple weeks so I had o2 spacers and the APR non-testpipe file put on my car. I've driven roughly 400 miles (mixed highway and city) in the past few weeks and the EVAP test just won't run. Everything else is showing ready with no CEL. I don't have a VCDS, but I'm using a wifi obd dongle to view readiness.

I looked for any technical documentation on the drive cycle, but all I could find was the Snap-On PDF that shows readiness codes for older VW/Audis. I ran through their procedure, but no dice. I also don't know if it matters, but it's been below 40F most of the time since I reflashed the car.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Louiekaps

Ready to race!
Over here in Illinois, you are allowed 1 readiness monitor to be not ready for this reason. Evap can be very tricky. I have the procedure for the drive cycle but it is really stupid. You should be all good as long as Evap is the only monitor not ready.

Claudius

Thank you for your response! Unfortunately, I believe Ohio E-check requires all monitors to pass readiness.

Louiekaps

Ready to race!
Readiness code description

Diagnostics are performed at regular intervals during normal vehicle operation. After repairing an emissions related system, a readiness code is generated by road testing the vehicle.

If a malfunction is recognized during the drive cycle, it will be stored in the DTC memory.

The OBD drive cycle operation will be monitored with a hand held diagnostic tool. Consult the manufacturer's instruction manual for correct tool operation.

The readiness code is erased every time the DTC memory is erased or any time the battery is disconnected. If the DTC memory has been erased or the battery is disconnected, a new readiness code must be generated.

Only erase the DTC memory if a DTC has been stored.

General recommendations

Most monitors will complete easier and quicker using a "steady-foot" and "smooth" acceleration during the drive cycle operation, cruise, and acceleration modes.

Operating conditions

For the EVAP monitor test, the coolant temperature and the ambient air temperature must be between 10°C and 35°C with a difference between them no greater than 4°C. The ambient air temperature must not change more than 4°C during the drive cycle procedure (e.g. when driving out of a heated workshop in the winter).

Test requirements

¤Erase the DTC memory. ¤Coolant temperature must be between 80°C and 110°C. ¤The intake air temperature must be between 10°C and 35°C.¤Battery voltage must be a minimum of 12.5 volts.¤Fuel tank level 1/4 to 3/4 full.
Drive Cycle Procedure

• Connect the scan tool.
  • Switch the ignition on and start the vehicle.
  • Idle the vehicle for 2 - 3 minutes. This executes the O2S heater, misfire, secondary air injection, fuel trim, and purge system monitors.
  • Drive the vehicle at 45 - 55 mph for a continuous 7 - minute period - avoid stopping. This executes the evaporative, O2S, fuel trim, and misfire monitors.
  • Accelerate the vehicle to an engine speed of 5000 RPM; lift off the throttle until the engine speed is around 1200 rpm. This executes the fuel cut off.
  • Accelerate the vehicle smoothly to 60 - 65 mph, cruise constantly for 5 min. this executes the catalyst; O2S, misfire, fuel trim, and purge system monitors.
  • Decelerate and idle the vehicle again for 3 minutes. This executes the misfire, secondary sir injection, fuel trim, and purge system monitors.
  • Check the status of the readiness code.
¤Depending on the scan tool used. The readiness code status may be displayed as complete, passed or OK.
  • If any engine monitor fails the drive cycle test. Repeat the drive cycle test until all engine monitors have successfully run through and passed.
¤When repeating the drive cycle operation for a failed evaporative or thermostat monitor, allow the engine to cool until the coolant temperature and the ambient air temperature are be between 10°C and 35°C with a difference no greater than 4°C and repeat the drive cycle operation.
If the drive cycle operation fails again.

• Check the DTC memory for stored DTCs.
Repair the vehicle if necessary.

• Repeat the drive cycle operation until all engine monitors have successfully run through and passed.
  • Remove the scan tool and switch the ignition off.

buttcrack9

Readiness code description

Diagnostics are performed at regular intervals during normal vehicle operation. After repairing an emissions related system, a readiness code is generated by road testing the vehicle.

If a malfunction is recognized during the drive cycle, it will be stored in the DTC memory.

The OBD drive cycle operation will be monitored with a hand held diagnostic tool. Consult the manufacturer's instruction manual for correct tool operation.

The readiness code is erased every time the DTC memory is erased or any time the battery is disconnected. If the DTC memory has been erased or the battery is disconnected, a new readiness code must be generated.

Only erase the DTC memory if a DTC has been stored.

General recommendations

Most monitors will complete easier and quicker using a "steady-foot" and "smooth" acceleration during the drive cycle operation, cruise, and acceleration modes.

Operating conditions

For the EVAP monitor test, the coolant temperature and the ambient air temperature must be between 10°C and 35°C with a difference between them no greater than 4°C. The ambient air temperature must not change more than 4°C during the drive cycle procedure (e.g. when driving out of a heated workshop in the winter).

Test requirements

¤Erase the DTC memory. ¤Coolant temperature must be between 80°C and 110°C. ¤The intake air temperature must be between 10°C and 35°C.¤Battery voltage must be a minimum of 12.5 volts.¤Fuel tank level 1/4 to 3/4 full.
Drive Cycle Procedure

• Connect the scan tool.
  • Switch the ignition on and start the vehicle.
  • Idle the vehicle for 2 - 3 minutes. This executes the O2S heater, misfire, secondary air injection, fuel trim, and purge system monitors.
  • Drive the vehicle at 45 - 55 mph for a continuous 7 - minute period - avoid stopping. This executes the evaporative, O2S, fuel trim, and misfire monitors.
  • Accelerate the vehicle to an engine speed of 5000 RPM; lift off the throttle until the engine speed is around 1200 rpm. This executes the fuel cut off.
  • Accelerate the vehicle smoothly to 60 - 65 mph, cruise constantly for 5 min. this executes the catalyst; O2S, misfire, fuel trim, and purge system monitors.
  • Decelerate and idle the vehicle again for 3 minutes. This executes the misfire, secondary sir injection, fuel trim, and purge system monitors.
  • Check the status of the readiness code.
¤Depending on the scan tool used. The readiness code status may be displayed as complete, passed or OK.
  • If any engine monitor fails the drive cycle test. Repeat the drive cycle test until all engine monitors have successfully run through and passed.
¤When repeating the drive cycle operation for a failed evaporative or thermostat monitor, allow the engine to cool until the coolant temperature and the ambient air temperature are be between 10°C and 35°C with a difference no greater than 4°C and repeat the drive cycle operation.
If the drive cycle operation fails again.

• Check the DTC memory for stored DTCs.
Repair the vehicle if necessary.

• Repeat the drive cycle operation until all engine monitors have successfully run through and passed.
  • Remove the scan tool and switch the ignition off.
2012 golf R
No DTCs
Only the Evaporative Emissions is not ready.

So I need to wait until April before the ambient temperature is high enough to run this test? There must be another way...