GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How active is your radiator fan?

S4NoMore

Car(s)
2008 GTI 2-door 6MT
Lately I have been noticing my radiator fan kicking on alot more... probably because it never used to come on. I got my car chipped APR stg1 a few weeks ago but I don't believe that's the cause. In slow traffic, side streets, and parking lots I am getting alot more fan activity, and I can't stand the noise and feeling it causes. It just makes my car sound like a p0s or something. No codes or lights have come on. All my plumbing and cooling systems are stock. Temperatures where I am getting this have been varied, from the 40s to the 70s. For example, this morning as I was looking for a spot at school, I heard the fan kick on for about 20 seconds.... it was 46F and raining :thumbdown:

What's the deal any suggestions? Anyone else with similar story?

racinrabbit

Professional Wheelman
I rarely hear mine come on if its under about 80F and im not excessively idling

Khobin~

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'07 GTI, '97 YZF600R
...I got my car chipped APR stg1 a few weeks ago but I don't believe that's the cause. In slow traffic, side streets, and parking lots I am getting alot more fan activity...

From what I've read, a part of the chipping is that it leans the a/f ratio a bit, as our cars tend to run on the rich side, in which case, that means more heat generated. Plus if your stuck in traffic then there's not much air being pushed through the rad, ie the reason it has a fan. :wink:

Does it sound like crap because it's squeaking or something? Personnally I don't notice the fan that much when I'm driving, but then I came from generally much older cars where when the fan kicked it it sounded like a C130 was under the hood. :bellyroll:

S4NoMore

Car(s)
2008 GTI 2-door 6MT
I rarely run my a/c... only if it's like 90+ and even then only if I'm on the highway. When I say traffic I'm not talking about LA type idling traffic, just alot of cars on the road causing me to go slower than usual. And no, it's not real loud or anything but with my windows down driving slowly it's really noticable. Sounds bad only because I hate hearing that fan blowing, my car sounds like a big rig or something lol. I'm only worried that a sensor would have gone bad without letting me know, I mean I would never even be thinking about "should I not turn my a/c on" in this type of (cold) weather.

nintendodude

Banned
Car(s)
Jetta
I know they run independently. I had my car running while I was cleaning the engine compartment and would see them both on, then just the left one, then neither, then the right one....

DUB2OT

Banned
I've owned my car lil over 3 years now i drive in stop and go traffic pretty much all the time I've yet to hear my radiator fan turn on.

nintendodude

Banned
Car(s)
Jetta
I've owned my car lil over 3 years now i drive in stop and go traffic pretty much all the time I've yet to hear my radiator fan turn on.

it is silent. I could not hear it standing over the car with the hood open.

DUB2OT

Banned
^^ dunno mine never turns on.

L0UD0G

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2012 BMW 328i Sport
Well..... when it's 110 degrees outside with the A/C on and having to deal with traffic, I'd say my radiator fan is pretty much on for 4-5 months straight...

S4NoMore

Car(s)
2008 GTI 2-door 6MT
This morning it was 50F and cloudy. Again I noticed my fan was on as I was parking my car. I don't like where this is going... it doesn't seem normal.

L0UD0G

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2012 BMW 328i Sport
It was on at full load or just partially? If it was just partially, that seems normal.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI

DooMMAsteR

native German
the A/C fan is not the collant fan

so with the A/C off the fan should rarely turn on ;)

it switches at 95ºC and some models have 2 speedlevels
in most cases it should never turn on
but under heavy load (trailer pulling, racing or high revs at low speeds or even still standing) it will power on

idleling for 20min or something should at >20ºC outside should also bring the fan up, but the thermometer in the KI still won't move untill the collant temp hits 98-105ºC
it is fixed to 90ºC to prevent any worries and will only point over 90ºC if something is wrong

at 105-110ºC the coolantwarning will turn on and the coolantsystem will be pressurised with steam of the boilig water ;)
NEVER open the coolant reservoir short after a ride, it can lead to 3.grade skin bruns, because in somecases the car doesnot warn or the coolant may also start boiling after you stopped (delayed for up to 60sec.)

S4NoMore

Car(s)
2008 GTI 2-door 6MT
It was on at full load or just partially? If it was just partially, that seems normal.

I'm not sure, if I had to guess I'd probably say partially... it's not loud, I can only hear the air being blown. It's just that I notice it come one when it never used to, and does so at such low temps.