F-22 Raptor program ending

festivus

Nooblinger
They should just buy Su-27s.

Horus USAF

shhh Im thinkin......
Car(s)
06 GTI
I actually think the 22 wasn't worth the manpower nor the money spent for production. That money could have easily just been tossed back into the 15 air frame. Beef up ordinance or avionics. The 15 is still a top contender.

MkVBlkMgc

Wir wollen lebensraum!
Car(s)
'08 GTI DSG
Don't believe it.

The F-22 (or parts thereof) is made in 44 states.

I'm betting that Congress doesn't have the sack to cut that many jobs across that many constituencies.

Let's see what happens.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
I mean, is the F-22 even that old? It's only been in the air 3 or 4 years, took however many billions to develop, and now they're canceling it??

Crazy. Especially when you consider how many decades of service they got out of the B-52's.

godsten

Ready to race!
yeah but aren't they supposed to be phasing them out for the f-35 or what ever the jsf project is being called.

Remus6

ViVa La Fuga!WLF
Just a wild guess, but they're probably canceling the F-22 because there's no need for having more than one platform for all of the services. I think the multi-purpose F-35 JSF is a lot more practical. It was designed to be more versatile across all the services. Most of the parts will be usable and interchangeable with different versions of the same aircraft.

Again, just a wild guess.

Edit: godsten just beat me to it.

Voices Off Camera

Ready to race!
I think it (F-22) was designed in the mid to late 80s. Didn't go into full production until 2005.

According to the military, they project the B-52s life span to extend past 2040. Considering the first B-52 flew in the 1950s... almost 100 years of service with numerous updates and improvements. I don't think you'll ever see something like that again.

Maybe some of the jobs that stand to be lost could be maintained by speeding up the F-35 program???

godsten

Ready to race!
sorry man, it would have taken me longer but i am was to lazy to search for the right name, at least i guessed correctly.

fairladyz_gt-r

Go Kart Champion
I disagree with the notion that F35 can fill in the gap left by the lead fighter (F15, F22). Too small, too limited. F35 is kind of like a hot hatchback, it can do a lot of things well. While the F22 is like an all out sports car, its expensive, powerful, hopeless around town and at any other job beside going fast. But its ridiculously fast, and handle beautifully at high speed.