do you like these?

• yea!

Votes: 81 53.3%
  • nah!

Votes: 71 46.7%

• Total voters

<{FleshFixxer}>

One Nation, Under My Fast
How far are you sitting back? Ideally you should be sitting such that your arms are bent at a 45 degree angle to hold the steering wheel at either quarter to three or ten to two, with the backrest up enough to support your shoulder when applying a full opposite lock... I drive with my seat pretty far back as well (I'm 6'3") but the backrest is still up enough to support my shoulders as described.

I sit close enough to put all four finger tips on the top end of the steering wheel with my back and shoulders fully supported...that's the best way i can to explain it.

A 45 degree angle is impossible, i'm 5'8" and drive with both hands at the bottom end of the steering wheel so i'm looking at more of a 85 degree angle. Quarter to three and ten to two is the most uncomfortable way to hold a steering wheel imo.

That same theory was probably over like rover in the 60's when steering wheels were a foot and a half in diameter. It should probably be rethought. Cars are nothing like they were back then, let alone the steering wheels. I've been driving for 4 years (ya i know, not much), i've tried tons to drive that way and i actually feel like i have less control... it's just not functional. I'm sure i'm not the only one.

That being said i definitely want these paddle extensions, i got high hopes for a decent price:thumbsup:

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I sit close enough to put all four finger tips on the top end of the steering wheel with my back and shoulders fully supported...that's the best way i can to explain it.

A 45 degree angle is impossible, i'm 5'8" and drive with both hands at the bottom end of the steering wheel so i'm looking at more of a 85 degree angle. Quarter to three and ten to two is the most uncomfortable way to hold a steering wheel imo.

That same theory was probably over like rover in the 60's when steering wheels were a foot and a half in diameter. It should probably be rethought. Cars are nothing like they were back then, let alone the steering wheels. I've been driving for 4 years (ya i know, not much), i've tried tons to drive that way and i actually feel like i have less control... it's just not functional. I'm sure i'm not the only one.

That being said i definitely want these paddle extensions, i got high hopes for a decent price:thumbsup:

It seems from your description that perhaps your seat is a bit too low? You should be able to grip the wheel really (though if you're not racing/tracking then it's how you're comfortable). The ten-to-two position actually comes from those old giant steering wheels. Quarter-to-three is more appropriate for smaller wheels like we have today, but ten-to-two is still suitable.
I used to sit kinda how you did (I think I know how you're describing it) but changed after I got my racing license. I find this newer position much more comfortable and less fatiguing for long journeys as well, you do sit higher in the vehicle but that makes a difference in comfort. Look at the way rally drivers/racecar drivers sit... highish and as close to the wheel as possible. While that's not completely practical for daily driving, it gives a general idea :) each to their own though, sit how you feel comfortable.

RedRobin

Going With The Flow....
Car(s)
Throbbin' Red VeeDub
Look at the way rally drivers/racecar drivers sit... highish and as close to the wheel as possible. While that's not completely practical for daily driving, it gives a general idea :) each to their own though, sit how you feel comfortable.

....I noticed how close the NASCAR drivers sit and couldn't understand it. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

<{FleshFixxer}>

It seems from your description that perhaps your seat is a bit too low? You should be able to grip the wheel really (though if you're not racing/tracking then it's how you're comfortable). The ten-to-two position actually comes from those old giant steering wheels. Quarter-to-three is more appropriate for smaller wheels like we have today, but ten-to-two is still suitable.
I used to sit kinda how you did (I think I know how you're describing it) but changed after I got my racing license. I find this newer position much more comfortable and less fatiguing for long journeys as well, you do sit higher in the vehicle but that makes a difference in comfort. Look at the way rally drivers/racecar drivers sit... highish and as close to the wheel as possible. While that's not completely practical for daily driving, it gives a general idea :) each to their own though, sit how you feel comfortable.

yep, i like a pretty low seat in all the cars i've driven. Some say it's a bit too low but it's just like you said, sit how you're comfortable. My friend went to racing school and completely revamped the way he sits and obviously the way he drives as well. He does not sit as high or as close to the wheel as some racecar drivers do though.

I can see how at high speeds i might want to sit closer because it's supposed to give the driver better control. But most of the time i'm trying to get to class during morning traffic everyday, and if you've ever been to vancouver you'd know just how slooooooooooooow ppl drive here, like 80-90 km/h in the LEFT lane on the highway. Now picture how slow it gets during traffic :mad0259:

cmdrfire

yep, i like a pretty low seat in all the cars i've driven. Some say it's a bit too low but it's just like you said, sit how you're comfortable. My friend went to racing school and completely revamped the way he sits and obviously the way he drives as well. He does not sit as high or as close to the wheel as some racecar drivers do though.

I can see how at high speeds i might want to sit closer because it's supposed to give the driver better control. But most of the time i'm trying to get to class during morning traffic everyday, and if you've ever been to vancouver you'd know just how slooooooooooooow ppl drive here, like 80-90 km/h in the LEFT lane on the highway. Now picture how slow it gets during traffic :mad0259:

Yeah, what happened to your friend happened to me :) I used to sit really low and far back, and after doing my training first thing I did was readjust my seat. You should try it, it takes a bit of getting used to but I really enjoy it more now. You can always set it back :wink:
Painful on the traffic >< seems that the roads are increasingly populated by tards these days... speaking of...

6 speed > DSG

That's unnecessary, kthxbai.

<{FleshFixxer}>

Yeah, what happened to your friend happened to me :) I used to sit really low and far back, and after doing my training first thing I did was readjust my seat. You should try it, it takes a bit of getting used to but I really enjoy it more now. You can always set it back :wink:
Painful on the traffic >< seems that the roads are increasingly populated by tards these days... speaking of...

That's unnecessary, kthxbai.

lol that's hliarious, yeah i think i'll give it a shot next time the left lane is clearer. it's so hard not to flash my lights at those tards, i'm pretty sure 80% of the slow ones in the left lane don't even know what flash to pass is so they'll probably just get pissed off and call me in for road rage or something...so annoying:mad0259:

curious though...so why exactly is it that every guy, or it seems like every guy, who goes through racing courses always pushes the seat up closer than it was before? is it a control thing? better handling?? share your secrets with me commander:bow: :wink:

Not for getting road head :biggrin:

:bellyroll:

cmdrfire

lol that's hliarious, yeah i think i'll give it a shot next time the left lane is clearer. it's so hard not to flash my lights at those tards, i'm pretty sure 80% of the slow ones in the left lane don't even know what flash to pass is so they'll probably just get pissed off and call me in for road rage or something...so annoying:mad0259:

curious though...so why exactly is it that every guy, or it seems like every guy, who goes through racing courses always pushes the seat up closer than it was before? is it a control thing? better handling?? share your secrets with me commander:bow: :wink:

:bellyroll:

Rather than FTP I've started using my indicator like the Germans do... I find people pay more attention to that and less likely to get you in trouble from an unmarked cop :wink:
I'll tell you why we sit up really close - think where the strength to turn the wheel comes from. If you're sitting quite far back, quite low down, the strength is coming from your wrists, and maybe a bit from your forearms. For regular daily driving, this really isn't that big a deal, but if you're racing, cornering at very high speeds, this is both dangerous and uncontrolled. Now consider if you are sitting close to the wheel, a bit high up, with the seatback upright, where does the strength come from now? Not only your wrist and forearm, but your entire arm and your shoulder, where the real strength lies. Now you have much better control of the car, and you can use your shoulder strength for gross movements, and your wrists are now not straining so much so you have better control from your wrists for fine movements. On the plus side, for daily driving and long journeys, there is also far less stress on your arms and shoulders as they are supported by the seatback - meaning you can cover long distances without any appreciable fatigue.

As I say, try it, it will take about a week of getting used to but then you'll really appreciate the extra control and comfort you get and wont' switch back:wink:

Wipperman

Ready to race!
Car(s)
`
Awesome!!

I had a chance to sit in Ian's R32 with the DSG extensions today.

Really solid feel. I still cant believe how OEM they feel.

no signs of flex.

I thought with double-sided tape they would. NADA FLEX!

10 to 2 super easy to reach and never in the way.

drove the car thru some slow tight corners and it is very very easy to reach these at all times.

worthy addition. looks very factory.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: