GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is it just me? or its the engine

MACH GTI

Ready to race!
I;ve jusst reached 5000 miles and wanted to check the engine oil. The other night, a low oil indicator came on and beep 3 times. so i stopped the engine and read the manual, i went to autozone to grab a bottle of oil and added hlaf it was fine. But the thing is everytime i pull the dipstick out the first time to check theres oil and i wipe it out then dip again, this is when theres no oil all or every little on the tip. The first pull the dipstick shows its good just in the middle. Am i checking the engine oil the wrong way? thanksss

generic83

lol wheel spin
1st pull doesnt count, wipe it and check it again. Thats where your oil level is. And make sure you check it on a level surface. There is a quart between the min and max lines.

crash331

Photographer
Car(s)
2008 GTI BM 4dr 6MT

Turbo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 GTI
:laughabove:

At 5K miles, you change the oil, not check it for the first time. Try to get in the habit of checking the oil every time you fill up.

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
:laughabove:

At 5K miles, you change the oil, not check it for the first time. Try to get in the habit of checking the oil every time you fill up.

Agreed. I got into the habit of checking my oil every 2-3 weeks since I don't drive very much. I've read that some members go through about a quart of oil between oil changes.

bcze1

You people make me laugh
1st pull doesnt count, wipe it and check it again. Thats where your oil level is. And make sure you check it on a level surface. There is a quart between the min and max lines.

Good advice, but also make sure the engine has been off for at least 2 minutes before checking. Got to give it time to drain into the pan.

MACH GTI

Ready to race!
Good advice, but also make sure the engine has been off for at least 2 minutes before checking. Got to give it time to drain into the pan.

okay i've done this before and the results were barely nothing. so does this mean that the low oil indicator wasnt an error and i should def. be adding quarts !? the car still drivess fine

ekk20

Go Kart Champion
okay i've done this before and the results were barely nothing. so does this mean that the low oil indicator wasnt an error and i should def. be adding quarts !? the car still drivess fine

add some oil before its too late, u dont want permanent engine damage.

generic83

lol wheel spin

The car will drive fine untill it makes this ungodly sound. Then its too late. All it takes is one fast turn and then you have got an oil starvation condition. Get some oil in there please. Buy 2 quarts because you may have more than a quart missing. When you add it, add about half a quart at a time. Cap it, idle the motor for about 15 seconds, let it sit for about a minute, and then check the level again. Repeat untill its at or below max. Becareful when you get close to max, overfilliing is bad for the motor. :smile:

Xymox

Car(s)
2K6 MKV GTI
Do a bit of searching and reading before you decide to troll. Our cars are known to burn oil so checking the oil levels regularly is a good thing.

Trolling, eh? I suppose I've trolled the Vortex and VW scene since 1999 when I joined.

Checking the oil at every fill-up is overkill IMHO. If they're regularly chugging that much oil, it sounds like a quality issue. But seeing as it's a VW, that shouldn't surprise me.

MACH GTI

Ready to race!
The car will drive fine untill it makes this ungodly sound. Then its too late. All it takes is one fast turn and then you have got an oil starvation condition. Get some oil in there please. Buy 2 quarts because you may have more than a quart missing. When you add it, add about half a quart at a time. Cap it, idle the motor for about 15 seconds, let it sit for about a minute, and then check the level again. Repeat untill its at or below max. Becareful when you get close to max, overfilliing is bad for the motor. :smile:

thanks, i did the first oil change today and boy it wass messy without the drain tool. BUt yea i was def. low on oil i had about 3qts in there! THese little monsters do burn alot of oil within 5000 miless. I will now check very often