GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

oh my god ipod mfd2 mkv headquake!!

skunkworks

Hey guys, i've been a regular visitor to this place for quite some time, tho i have not had an account.. but now i figured it was about time to get some rage for a problem i've had out :mad:

It all started with me looking for a new car to buy, and since i've had golfs before, mkv gti was an obvious choice.

It all fell on a 2005 black 3door with some work already done to it (rims+springs)

First mod i was about to do were the infamous ipod kit conversion.

I quickly phoned my closest vw dealer and ordered the original parts for the operation.

Once installed i plugged in the ipod for the first time, happy like a small kid who just got his first playstation.

Now is when it all starts going wrong, the ipod totally locks up, and i have to use the HU (mfd2 satnav) to change song.. ah well, that i can handle.. but then i noticed that all that was showing on the HU was something like "TRACK 73".. whatup with ID3 tags? theyve been around like since.... .. since... forever??

pissed as hell im off to search the interwebs for a solution, and i stumble upon some thread with a dude saying that the OEM ipod thing is CRAP.. and that there is lots of aftermarket wv - ipod connectors to buy.

Fuck, browsing on and finally finds something that sounds promising..
http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=5&cat=2&page=1

This must be *the shit*... quickly orders and awaits package.

A few days later it arrives. I'm now 100% confident on howto copletely deasemble my dash i can probably do it in my sleep.

Quickly installs the new stuff and finds a neat place for the cable.
Starting up the ipod and awaits.. FINALLY, i can use my touch to browse playlists and albums, but still i cant see id3 tags.?!?! :mad::mad:

IMO its INSANE to not be able to see that, how were they thinking when they designed that HU (mfd2)??

Like.. i know.... lets make an option for the MKV that has IPOD connector in the armrest, that will prolly sell us more cars to the geeks around.. but lets not fully incorporate the idea in the HU so that when we make an upgrade (mfd3?) they will have to buy that one for like a gazillion dollars to see id3 tags, makes sense huh?

Well as it is now i'm fairly happy, even tho i have a few more things i'd like to add to my existing configuration.. here goes:

Display video content from my ipod (touch) on the mfd2 display, howto anyone?

Still want to be able to see what song is being played on the HU, is it possible at all?

I've googled this subjects so many hours that if i had worked instead i could probably have bought me a new HU from the money earned.

Sorry for being all negative and stuff, but I just had to get it out :barf:

Thanks for your time! and hopefully i can get some help with this 2 problems!