PDA

View Full Version : automatic windows not working

esheg4ever23
02-14-2009, 03:15 AM
so yesterday i left my lights on for my car and it wouldn't start.
i tried starting it this morning and it took a couple of cranks but it started up fine, drove around for about 10 minutes then got back home. a few hours later i started the car again, as i was leaving i noticed i had to hold my window buttons, the automatic windows up/down feature wasn't working. i figured it had to do with the battery dying. later on in the day it worked, then at night it stopped working again.

:iono:

trip to the dealer?

SteelerGTI90
02-14-2009, 03:17 AM
I'd say so

MADgolFER
02-14-2009, 03:21 AM
dude... mine was like that... just the windows needing to be resetted... and then it started to get worse... now sometimes when its cold and i turn off the car after driving for a bit, get out, close the door, and try to lock the door... NOTHING! the power is completely gone! i have to reopen the door and close it again for the MFD and the light to come back on. and i have to reset the clock... its f-ing annoying...

kimchi29
02-14-2009, 03:25 AM
nah dont trip dude. your battery technically reseted so the windows need to relearn. just go all the way up and down a few times and you'll be fine. same thing happens when you unplug your battery

MADgolFER
02-14-2009, 03:27 AM
nah dont trip dude. your battery technically reseted so the windows need to relearn. just go all the way up and down a few times and you'll be fine. same thing happens when you unplug your battery

the thing is...battery shouldn't just reset. does yours do? if it does then its not normal

kimchi29
02-14-2009, 03:30 AM
the thing is...battery shouldn't just reset. does yours do? if it does then its not normal

mine doesnt. but from what the op posted, it seems that he left his lights on and the car died? if so then the windows having to relearn would make complete sense.

MADgolFER
02-14-2009, 03:32 AM
yeah but second time he didn't leave his lights on... plus he didn't say he jumped the car in the morning. which means he couldve just thought he left the lights on when his car didn't start but actually was an electrical problem. how many times have you drained the battery and the car started up fine after few cranks the next morning?

esheg4ever23
02-14-2009, 03:33 AM
^yeah my parking lights were on for 6 hours
it's weird, sometimes it works and other times it doesn't

MADgolFER
02-14-2009, 03:37 AM
as i said above i had the exact problem... took it to the dealer and they couldn't replicate it... which means, to them, the problem doesn't exist... now battery cuts out completely as if had been drained... and starts up fine after a sec or two...

esheg4ever23
02-14-2009, 03:38 AM
possibly a new battery will correct the problem?
just shooting blanks here because i usually don't trust the dealer

MADgolFER
02-14-2009, 03:46 AM
i don't know man... my car isn't even 9 months old... i think there is a bad grounding point somewhere that is worsened when the weather is cold and metal/cables contract...

esheg4ever23
02-14-2009, 03:47 AM
come to think of it this past week has been pretty cold for LA :iono:

elquacko
02-24-2009, 11:42 AM
All I did was remove my battery for like 5 minutes and now my automatic windows don't work. I didn't touch anything else!

DigitalN.
02-24-2009, 12:14 PM
All I did was remove my battery for like 5 minutes and now my automatic windows don't work. I didn't touch anything else!

same here, I got a little freaked out. But all you do is roll them up and down a few times. It's really annoying not having though :p

nintendodude
02-24-2009, 12:32 PM
manually push and hold all the way up/down for all windows. I had this happen when putting it in stock mode.

audiracer2002
02-24-2009, 04:27 PM
I had the same issue. My girlfriend left the lights on and killed the battery. When I recharged it, the windows wouldn't work on auto. Like everyone has said, I rolled them down and up and the next time I started my car the windows worked fine again. They've been fine since. My friend who's a tech said exactly what's been stated here, they just need to reset and relearn.

DooMMAsteR
02-24-2009, 05:23 PM
retraining/adaption of the windows is also explained in the USERS MANUAL ;)
works as said
DOWN and hold down for a moment (5sec) then all the way up

do it with all windows

and DONE

GTI_nurse
02-24-2009, 05:59 PM
depending on the year your car was made either manually holding the window up/down will reset the ECM... On my 08 the manual says to use the key in the door lock to roll the windows down then up... and this resets it.

AGAIN RTFM (Read The Fucking Manual).

BOz
02-24-2009, 06:11 PM
my battery died while I was detailing the car. Then I noticed the same thing that you described. It resets itself after a bit. Now its fine.