GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How do you guys handle turns using DSG paddle shifters?

PJ81

power hungry
i found this to be a problem because sometimes i would lose track of the upshift paddle as i was turning the wheel.

i don't ever use paddles now when i make turns.
what i tend to do now is just put the car into tiptronic mode, and have my left hand where the downshift paddle is, and my right hand on the shifter for upshifting when i'm making turns. i only use paddles for both upshifting and downshifting when i'm on straightaways.

how do the rest of you guys drive your dsgs?

also, what gear do you guys tend to be in when you're merging on to the highway? i tend to be in 4th gear. i merge in 3rd when i want to drive a little more spiritedly.

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
I thought you're supposed to shift either before or after a turn. Shifting during a turn is a big no no. I'm not too sure about this but if you have to shift during a turn, that probably means you're in the wrong gear.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Candyman

GTI post Fozz
Car(s)
VW Golf R DSG MY12
Yep, agree with you on not using the paddles in a turn.

I make sure I have the gear selected before the turn although the GTI can usually deal with the next gear up anyway.

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
Car(s)
2007 MKV Fahrenheit
I know what he is talking about, its because of city streets and sharper corners - you are trying to hold RPM'S through the corner and at the same time you are turning the wheel and the paddle gets upside down when you want to shift and get into some more traction / less power.

I try to shift just before i start turning the wheel if i know im in a low gear and revs will climb quickly around the corner - luckily our car has a great amount of torque and even though rpm's are lower and were in a higher gear around the corner there is enough torque to get us into the following straightaway.

If im racing someone ( around corners ) Im always in Sport mode with the paddles - IMO its the best race mode for our car, I honestly think the tip is slower.

just practice - try shifting just before turning the wheel and shifting again on the exit. works for me

MKvUltra

I'm chasing perfection
Car(s)
your mom
down shift before turn and up shift hard on the gas coming out of the turn I keep my right hand on the paddle the whole time so its pretty easy

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
Car(s)
2007 MKV Fahrenheit
if you are way high in the RPM's though - arent you pushing the front tire too much? I think the OP is talking more about an optimum turn, rather than WOT.

MKvUltra

I'm chasing perfection
Car(s)
your mom
your not going to downshift into the lowest gear we have plenty of torque around 3k and you will not need to hang the rpm's. you want to carry speed into the turn not make up for it by going WOT, once your around the apex your hard on the gas

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
Car(s)
2007 MKV Fahrenheit
down shift before turn and up shift hard on the gas coming out of the turn I keep my right hand on the paddle the whole time so its pretty easy

Also, what if its a right turn, hard to keep your right hand on the upshift if its on the left side of your body!

uberdork71

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07gli, 70 911t,72mg
I thought you're supposed to shift either before or after a turn. Shifting during a turn is a big no no. I'm not too sure about this but if you have to shift during a turn, that probably means you're in the wrong gear.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

x2, do your braking, shifting, and stearing, on the way in. If you shift mid corner, you'll prolly throw your car off balance.

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I had this problem when I first got my GTI. I naturally just started shifting before I steered into the turn to avoid awkward arm movements to reach the paddles mid-turn. You will adapt :thumbsup: