GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Neuspeed Power Pulley Kit

CopperAddict

Autocross Newbie
Has anyone gotten the Power Pully Kit yet?

Claims to have 5-7 HP Increase.

The only thing that scares me is that it uses a different belt, so it might be difficult to replace it down the road.

Pete

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
i too am wondering if anyone else has gotten it, it seems like a fairly easy mod to install if you have a lift. what does everyone think of it?

coolme187

Touring Car Champion
you would be lucky to even get 1-2whp with a pulley, waste of money imo.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
don't waste your time. I did it in my civic. I actually hated it because it effected mt stereo system. Instead of 14-14.5 volts your alternator is slowed down to around 12-12.5 volts. If you put a system in the car you will not see the true potential since the power rating from amps is often taken from the 14.5 volt. Pluss you will only see like 1-2 hp as stated above. It is soooooo a waste of time and money.

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
well i guess ill wait for more intake info before i buy an intake then

Nurendra

Autocross Champion
I partially agree/disagree with Loccusst.
I had an Unorthodox Racing pulley set on my 12v VR6.
They were well designed with the stock pulleys in mind. Voltage and relative rpm of related components were totally unaffected as the diameters remained the same.
Did it increase hp noticeably? No.
Did acceleration increase? Yes. The lighter pulleys resulted on less inertia and that car pulled like hell.
The materials used are lighter and as much material is remived without jeopardizing or compromising structural integrity. Neuspeed's version is supposedly built along the same lines.
Sorry I don't have a stock pic of the VR6 pulleys. Here's a pic of the aftermarket ones. Just picture cast iron solid ones as opposed to these. Replacing the crank, power steering, and alternator pulleys resulted in a weight diff of 93.2oz (oem)-34.2oz (aftermarket) = 59ozs or 3lbs 11 ozs
That's a lot of mass to spin in the 12v VR6 case. I'm not sure why they're using a diff belt.
Check with the guys at www.unorthodoxracing.com and see if they plan on making one and also their thoughts on Neuspeed's design.

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
im thinking that it might not make much more hp, but instead it will be able to put more power to the ground compared to the stock pulleys. :iono:

Nurendra

Autocross Champion
Alf, all cars regardless of engines have this components. Even F1 engines components are made of mainly forged aluminium alloys for weight and inertia reduction.
Each pound of weight removed from the crankshaft is worth approximately 2.5HP (I read that somewhere) and the gains jump even more dramatically with forced induction, nitrous, etc.
This reduction in weight reduces the moment of inertia allowing your engine to respond faster to throttle inputs and perform better at all RPM's.

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
Nurendra said:
Alf, all cars regardless of engines have this components. Even F1 engines components are made of mainly forged aluminium alloys for weight and inertia reduction.
Each pound of weight removed from the crankshaft is worth approximately 2.5HP (I read that somewhere) and the gains jump even more dramatically with forced induction, nitrous, etc.
This reduction in weight reduces the moment of inertia allowing your engine to respond faster to throttle inputs and perform better at all RPM's.
this may be true sir, but is it worth the price and trouble installing it? thats just the way i look at it. its nice and all, but id rather put my money into better mods, with worthwhile power, not to mention bang for the buck factor.

just my opinion.

alf

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
CopperAddict said:
Has anyone gotten the Power Pully Kit yet?

Claims to have 5-7 HP Increase.

The only thing that scares me is that it uses a different belt, so it might be difficult to replace it down the road.

Pete

What do they cost?

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
Nurendra said:

:clap: nurendra, thats what i was trying to get at, u just explained it far better than me. good information dude.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I should of made myself more clear. Most under drive pulleys are actually larger and lighter than OEM pulleys. This is what causes the voltage to drop and usually your power steering to work less. If the pulley is the same diameter as the original just lighter, then sweet. Go for it. Are you going to get huge gains on a pulley swap. Not much and only if you swap out all of them including the crank. The crank is the important one anyway. Just stick to reputable companies because a out of balance pulley is not good.

Nurendra

Autocross Champion
Alf, to answer your question about the price and trouble of installing mods.
What performance mods are there for this engine/car?
The software upgrade is pricy and easy.
The (eventual) turbo upgrade will be pricy and labor intensive.
The suspension upgrade is pricy and labor intensive.
Cat back upgrade is pricy.
Turbo back upgrade is pricy and labor intensive.
CAI is easy and fairly cheap.
The point I'm trying to make is that the install process for this is not any more difficult than any other bolt-on.
Would I do it? If done right with just modified pulleys and keeping the oem belt, I probably would as less strain on the engine ultimately results in it having a longer life.

Loccusst, you're right. The crank pulley (the one Neuspeed modifies) is the heaviest. On the VR6 the oem weight was 5lbs 2 ozs while the replacement one was 15 ozs. Weight saving was approx 4lbs which works out to an increase of 10hp at the engine. Assuming 12.5% FWD drive train loss, whp increase would be 8.75hp.

So Neuspeed's gains are credible, I'm just not fully sure of a reduced diameter pulley; even though the other pulleys remain stock and my memory of momentum from physics classes agree that the force on the alternator and power steering pulleys remain constant. Even thought I was asleep in class most of the time :wink:

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I just know that certain companies like AEM make the pulleys larger than stock to slow down the alternator and power steering pump.