GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Custom Exhaust...help?

Plyngntrffc

FIA GT Newbie
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
I see everyone in here tallking about these crazy expensive, well 1200 for me is crazy expensive, so yeah, i saw one guy talking about having an exhaust made for him from his local shope for like 300...anyone have any input on this...im planning to get the hufs, tinted, chipped and exhaust first, but i cant drop 1200 on an exhaust..other ideas for a ncie sound plus some decent gains?

gatorfast

man amongst boys
Shops can do a great job...I had a custom made exhaust on my previous car. It would be best if you could find a shop that does mandrel bends since it would flow better than a crush bend (which most shops use). It is MUCH cheaper than buying a pre-made exhaust system.

GTI44

Brick Shithouse!!
Car(s)
MkV GTI
Just got my custom exhaust put on today. I had the shop cut the resonator off (the first muffler) and they installed a custom made mandel Down pipe with a 3" high flow cat. They used the flanges off the OEM DP, the custom DP looks almost stock, the shop did a great job. total price $350. The car now sounds pissed off with a much deeper/throatier exhaust note at idle or while cruising, but when hammered and on boost the car sounds like a race car. i'm very happy with the custom exhaust, and even happier saving $$$.

Plyngntrffc

FIA GT Newbie
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
Thanks, wow that sounds sooooo awesome, id lvoe to hear ur car now, and saving that much money, is INSANE, i wonder if the gains are near the other ones as well.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Time for a dyno run there!

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
GTI44 said:
Just got my custom exhaust put on today. I had the shop cut the resonator off (the first muffler) and they installed a custom made mandel Down pipe with a 3" high flow cat. They used the flanges off the OEM DP, the custom DP looks almost stock, the shop did a great job. total price $350. The car now sounds pissed off with a much deeper/throatier exhaust note at idle or while cruising, but when hammered and on boost the car sounds like a race car. i'm very happy with the custom exhaust, and even happier saving $$$.

Nice! That's really cheap! Do you know what kind of high flow cat they used by any chance? And do you know if it'll still pass emissions? Thanks.

GTI44

Brick Shithouse!!
Car(s)
MkV GTI
I'll post pics tomorrow. I'm at work right now. the only dyno around is 3 hours away so i don't know when i'll get that, but i will post some pics.

the shop owner is friends with my dad and i helped so that prob saved some $$$ but other than that it was pretty cheap.

The cat is a Random Technology Super High Flow from www.lightningmotorsports.com
they say on all the turbo forums that this cat flows the best.