GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Underpower the 2.0T with a chip program to save gas?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
This was just a thought I had today, but I was curious if it would be possible to make the 2.0T more fuel efficient by sacrificing HP and Torque for better fuel economy. With the fast and portable software flashing devices soon to be released by companies such as GIAC, I could imagine it would be highly beneficial to have such a program at your fingertips, especially when stuck in heavy traffic, short grocery runs and or driving on long trips.

Also out of curiosity, what types of gas mileage are people reporting with their chipped 2.0Ts with normal driving. Has the increased power seriously affected the MPG's?

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I don't think there would be any benefit than to stick with stock parameters. Anything less than might degrade longevity of the power plant.

A local guy I know got the GIAC chip done recently and on his way back from the chip install got 40 MPG HWY during his 400 mile trip from the GIAC dealer.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
To answer the question: No, the increased power doesn't affect your mileage. Unless of course your running the piss out of it all the time. But if you're driving casually then you should notice a slight improvment in your mileage after being chipped. I think the mileage improves with all of the "chip" suppliers programs.

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
I am not missing anything, as a matter of fact, neither your post nor your random thought makes sense. You do not have to lose hp or torque to get better mileage, as a matter of fact, losing hp and torque is extremely dangerous to your motor. You only lose, or in your words, "sacrifice" power when something is wrong.

But on the other side, if you are refering to keep the vehicle stock (again does not make sense).... Whatever

Arin said:
This was just a thought I had today, but I was curious if it would be possible to make the 2.0T more fuel efficient by sacrificing HP and Torque for better fuel economy.

GTI2007

In Europe the regular Golf has the option of the same 2.0L engine as the GTI but without the turbo, so it only makes 150 HP and it has almost the same mileage as the GTI. So underpowering ain't gonna help the mileage.

andrewt

Autocross Champion
aside from all the other talk above, the first thought that crosses my mind is that you'd have to pay for the program. how long would you have to drive to even break even?

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
In many cases, mileage improves with a reflash. Mine did, by 2-3mpg; on the motorway I get about 35-40mpg at 70-80mph, and in town I get between 21-25 mpg (depending on how silly my driving is)

4GSixty3

Drag Racing Champion
after chipping, our car should yield better gas millage on regular driving as our car were tune super rich from the factory (soot from our exhaust).