GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A/C eating up power??

jkaruzas

Autocross Champion
I get my MkV this coming Saturday [can't wait!!!]; I was curious if anyone has noticed a significant power loss while using the air conditioning. I currently have a 2001 Chevrolet S-10, and when I turn the A/C while driving down the road, the power loss is so significant that it truly feels like i am lightly applying the brakes. I know some cars are better at not losing power while using A/C, and was curious how the GTi performed. Thanks for the Info.!

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Can't really notice the power loss but it is probably there. I do notice the difference in gas mileage. On my 25 mile trip to work (some city/some hwy) with a/c on I can get 26-28mpg avg. With the a/c off I can get close to 31-32mpg.

JC Starr

Touring Car Newbie
I have a manual and run the AC daily and don't notice a power loss at all. May be because I have been running it daily since I bought the car though and I am just used to it?

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
If you pedal the S-10 faster with the ac on, you wont feel the power loss. The loss on the FSI engine is not that noticable.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
I think the power is noticable, not enough to get me to turn off the A/C though thats for sure:biggrin: :evil:

davesee

FIA GT Champion
i notice a very slight loss of power.. most people probably wouldnt notice. so unlike my old saturn. oh the memories of turning on the a/c and feeling the car jar foward due to the drain on the engine

gatorfast

man amongst boys
I dont think the power difference is that noticible

GTI44

Brick Shithouse!!
Car(s)
MkV GTI
Although the power may not be noticable the mpg are. today the first time i have used it. I live in michigan! i had the cruise control on 6th gear at 60 mph. a/c off 37mpg +/- with the a/c on 32 mpg +/-. so lets just say with 93 oct. at $3.04 a gallon the windows are gonna be down this summer.

MMD

Oval Champion
jkaruzas said:
I get my MkV this coming Saturday [can't wait!!!]; I was curious if anyone has noticed a significant power loss while using the air conditioning. I currently have a 2001 Chevrolet S-10, and when I turn the A/C while driving down the road, the power loss is so significant that it truly feels like i am lightly applying the brakes. I know some cars are better at not losing power while using A/C, and was curious how the GTi performed. Thanks for the Info.!

it's perfect if u r driving around u'll not notice any loss of power

but if i start to race i always switch off the A/C....

plac

GTI Master
I notice much less A/C on power loss than any other car I've had before.

My 2002 SE-R Spec-V would drop 200 rpms when i'd put on the A/C.