GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Climate vent knob not working

Toolman

UG Owners Club UG0011
Okay.....so I have searched for a couple days now, and I cannot find anything close to this problem. Maybe I was searching for the wrong terms.

So...my climate vent knob does not change where the air blows anymore. It is almost as if something is disconnected. I can turn the knob to floor, floor/vent, face, vent...but it changes nothing. I would take it to the dealership (and I will) but to schedule anything there is a huge wait and I was hoping to fix this on my own. Anyone have this problem? How do I remove the stereo/climate trim pice to have a look? Thanks guys!

futant

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry to bring back a dead post, but mine is doing the same thing. I get air out of the dash vents on the far left and right, as well as the vent at the base of the windshield. However, the center dash vents and the vent on top of the dash do not turn on at any setting.

If anyone has any info on this it would be great.

DesmoDan

AutoX Pylon
Sorry to bring back a dead post, but mine is doing the same thing. I get air out of the dash vents on the far left and right, as well as the vent at the base of the windshield. However, the center dash vents and the vent on top of the dash do not turn on at any setting.

If anyone has any info on this it would be great.

Sorry if it's something you obviously have checked, but are the vents themselves turned on. Switch from '0' to blow mode?

futant

Passed Driver's Ed
hehe yeah I've checked that already. It's like the knob is not hooked up or something. When the knob is set to dash only, I still get windshield, far right and far left dash vents, and the floor vent. It doesn't ever change which vents are blowing.

prussiablue

Same problem here. Really annoying. I try the whole night trying to figure out how to cut off the air from the dash vents but to no effect even if I switch to the 'in your face' blower button, the air still come out from the dash vents.

Now I live in a tropical country and this is really serious problem here as my windscreen (the part where the blower blow) will get fog out.

I wonder can the dealer 'seal' the vents?

Arcturus

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Yes, I just resurrected a 4.5 year old thread.

After installing a new HU, my vent knob was stuck with a limited range of motion - about 2 to 4 on the face of a clock.

Despite this limited motion, the selection worked perfectly.

Yesterday, I finally decided to fix this problem. I pulled out the Climatic unit, and noticed a long brass threaded wire which rotates with the vent knob. When I pulled the unit out, which required some force, the brass wire was not connected to anything. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but I think this is what's causing my issue. I carefully reinserted the control until and the knob rotated flawlessly.

After a bit of driving, I realised that changing the vent knob setting would not change the airflow at all. I suspect that I disconnected the brass threaded wire when I pulled out the unit.

Does anyone know what that wire is supposed to be connected to? It does not seem to be an electrical connection. Rather, it is a mechanical connection.

Arcturus

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Problem solved! After some exploring with a flashlight (AKA cell phone), I located the spot where the brass wire snaps in. You'll have to remove your head unit to access it, but the Climatronic can remain in place.

This picture shows where the brass wire snaps in. This part wasn't easy... It eventually snapped in when I rotated the plastic gear while pushing on the connector.
This picture gives you a better idea of where it's located in the dash.

wacek3

Car(s)
MK5
Did the same and problem fixed lol 2 years without a top vent!! And finally fixed!!! Thanks Arcturus!!!

Problem solved! After some exploring with a flashlight (AKA cell phone), I located the spot where the brass wire snaps in. You'll have to remove your head unit to access it, but the Climatronic can remain in place.

This picture shows where the brass wire snaps in. This part wasn't easy... It eventually snapped in when I rotated the plastic gear while pushing on the connector.
This picture gives you a better idea of where it's located in the dash.