GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo Timers

Dubdr

Rally Car Champion
I was just wondering what the US & Can MKV driver's are using for turbo timers. I would love to get the HKS type-1 but they don't make a harness yet. Also I am having trouble find turbo back exhaust. I have looked around this forum (which is the best one I have been on by the way) and can't find what I am looking for, if I missed it I am very sorry. Thank you for the help.

35NYR

Ready to race!
Dubdr said:
I was just wondering what the US & Can MKV driver's are using for turbo timers. I would love to get the HKS type-1 but they don't make a harness yet. Also I am having trouble find turbo back exhaust. I have looked around this forum (which is the best one I have been on by the way) and can't find what I am looking for, if I missed it I am very sorry. Thank you for the help.

I don't think you need a turbo timer in a modern turbo engine like MKV engine. The engine has an electric motor that circulates coolant back through the turbo and prevent coking. Pretty neat actually. :w00t: I'm sure it's covered in this pdf on the engine http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86

Sauceboy01

Touring Car Newbie
Dubdr said:
Sauceboy01- maybe you should stick with the benz, you don't seem to like VWs too much.

I'm just stating some real facts. I'm not going to butter facts up and change my wording in order not to offend you VW drivers. I respect VW and the new GTI. So please do not patronize me.

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
Hey c'mon now fellas we're all here to share in our interest for the GTI... :respekt: each other.

:bowvw:

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
Definitely glad VW caught up with this idea... especially since Subaru has had it for a few years now!

yeah... thats just how the car industry goes:cool:

maybe someday mercedes will use some kind of DSG, twincharger:tongue:

just joking:thumbup:

jkaruzas

Autocross Champion
New to turbo

Hey, guys; I'm new to this whole turbo thing (driving an N/A american car for most of my driving career), and although I understand the mechanics and idea behind turbo pretty well, I am a little fuzzy on the difference between a blow-off valve, and a wastegate. I hear references made to both of them, but it kinda seems like they do the same thing. Also, is the MkV turbo intercooled?

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
MKV is intercooled. A blow off valve releases some of the built up pressure in the system into the atmosphere when you let up on the gas. A wast gate.....don't know for sure. Ii is an adjustable control for the blow off I think.

jkaruzas

Autocross Champion
Found this on another site...

"Without a wastegate, the amount of boost that a turbocharger creates varies with the pressure of the engine's exhaust. This happens because exhaust pressure varies with relation to the engine's speed (measured in RPM's). This implies that as an engine reaches higher RPM's, increasing amounts of boost will be created by the turbocharger. The problem with this is that an engine can only accomodate a given amount of boost. Most stock engines are only meant to take about 10 PSI if not less. In order to regulate the amount of boost that comes into the engine, a wastegate acts as a door only allowing a given amount of exhaust to hit the turbocharger's exhaust turbine. Once the engine starts producing more exhaust pressure then the wastegate system will allow, a flap is opened to redirect excess exhaust away from the turbine blades. In turn, this is where a wastegate gets it's name. It's a gate to carry away waste. In order to regulate when a wastegate opens, a boost conroller can be used. "

dwl137

Touring Car Champion
For a simplified explanation, the wastegate basically makes sure that your engine doesnt go over the specified boost, whether it be factory setting or what you have your boost controller set at. Say it's set to be 10psi; if the boost were to climb higher than that the wastegate opens and lets out the excess boost to keep it at 10psi. Like a safety device to prevent overboosting.