GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

On DSGs, twin turbos, and 4Motion AWD

kosmo6

Ready to race!
I emailed HPA today, and I thought I should share what I learned:
a) I won't be buying a GT6 conversion anytime soon (even though it would be sweet to blow the doors off of 911 Turbos all day long in a VW)
b) the DSG is a sweet transmission (I already knew that) apparently able to support 400 hp with increasing oil changes

Sorry in advance for any formatting ugliness...

--------------------------------------------------

Subject: GT6 Conversion

Sean,

Thank you for your inquiry and congratulations on your new MKV GTi. At this time I am unable to give you pricing on a full 4motion, twin turbo upgrade as a number of the systems on the MKV chassis are different from previous builds. That said we are still finalizing pricing on 4 motion upgrades. In terms of engine performance, we would need to upgrade to a 3.2L 24V engine, I would expect the engine with complete wiring harness to cost approximately $15,000usd. From there we would need to look at the twin turbo conversion.
We have recently updated a number of the components associated with our twin turbo systems to increase efficiency and reliability, which has also yielded more HP. That said I expect a FT565 system to retail for approximately $32,000-$35,000USD.

The DSG transmission does require increased maintenance; we recommend that when used in conjunction with one of our single turbo systems oil changes should be performed every 10,000km. When pushing over 450hp we have a clutch solution that will work up to our FT515 system.

I hope that helps to answer your questions, if you would like to speak further about your exciting project, please feel free to give me a call.

Kind regards,

Jared
Lead Sales Executive
HPA Motorsports Inc.

----------------------------------------------------

Jared,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Okay, so the VR6 is 15k, the twin turbo FT565 is 35k, and the 4Motion is probably >15k. Now, you said you had a clutch solution for the DSG that will work up to the FT515; does that mean that I can't have a DSG with the FT565?

Also, how much can the DSG support without having to dig into the internals? I've heard 300-350 ft-lbs of torque...

Thanks,
Sean

---------------------------------------------------

Sean,

Glad I could help. You are correct in the pricing. For the FT565 system we don't recommend putting that level of wear on the DSG for daily use. We have also found that it takes almost a hundred extra hp in a 6spd car to perform as well as a DSG car. That said I don't have a finalized price on the FT515, but should have that info on the website quite soon.

We run the stock DSG with our FT400 without problems with the only caveat being increased oil change intervals. With our FT450+ we recommend upgrading the clutches.

Kind regards,

Jared

-------------------------------------------------

Some food for thought, eh?

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Damn dude! Those are some crazy prices! So what does he mean by increased oil changes? Like every 2k miles or what?

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Wow!! These guys build some sick rides. Encouraging that they seem to think that the DSG can handle significant HP and torque increases, seeing as they worked directly with VWoA on the SEMA cars.

dwl137

Touring Car Champion
I'd imagine oil he's talking about changing every 10,000km(~6,000 miles) is the transmission oil not the engine oil.

dwl137

Touring Car Champion
yes, all transmissions have fluid/oil in them and I'd imagine that's what they mean needs changed more often since we're talking about the DSG and not the engine.

I regularly changed the transmission fluid/oil and the rear differential oil in my subaru every 15k.

One thing I never got totally. It's referred to as "Automatic Transmission Fluid" but for manual's it's "Manual Transmission Oil". Wonder what the significant difference is that one is called oil and the other fluid. *shrugs*

Kurupt

low
Car(s)
Jeep
i knew they had it i was wondering if they ment transmission fluid instead of transmission oil bcuz i have never heard it called oil

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
well it is oil. just everyone calls it fluid

maperry123

Ready to race!
55K for upgrades + 25K for the car...... Just by RS4

Tay2610

Autocross Newbie
Are you reffering to the price being just "by" (past) the RS4 or are you telling us to just "buy" the RS4? By the way the GTI would be faster (and possibly more fun) if your reffering to the latter.

Last edited:

GTMK5_TJ

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Audi TT
Before i get to my question:
NEWB ALERT :yikes:

Just looking for clarification:::

1. so in other words OUR DSG transmission can only take a max of 400HP and >300TQ???

2. With their upgraded clutch feature we can run more TQ and HP to the stock DSG?

Extremely confuzzled, but then again it could be i blazed one too many times :smoking: