GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hey Chicago MKVers! Help me out!

NoCaution

SofaKingEuro.com
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI - MoonMan
OK - So this is going to be mighty presumptuous of me, but here goes anyway:

I am planning on moving to the Chicago area in 3-5 weeks. I have only been there once (for like 4 hours) and don't really know the area at all. I am thinking of somewhere up north/northwest of downtown. I am looking at studio apartments online, and have a service looking too. I only have one requirement; anywhere I live MUST have secure, covered parking for my GTI! (I got hit 3 times and towed once in 8 months in Seattle)

So, here's the question:
What area should I be looking at? I would be fine at a complex in the burbs, as long as I can get to the highway quickly.

What areas are safe/nice/clean, etc.?

Any other advice or hints about my soon to be home would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers-

Mr.Fugge

Ready to race!
OK - So this is going to be mighty presumptuous of me, but here goes anyway:

I am planning on moving to the Chicago area in 3-5 weeks. I have only been there once (for like 4 hours) and don't really know the area at all. I am thinking of somewhere up north/northwest of downtown. I am looking at studio apartments online, and have a service looking too. I only have one requirement; anywhere I live MUST have secure, covered parking for my GTI! (I got hit 3 times and towed once in 8 months in Seattle)

So, here's the question:
What area should I be looking at? I would be fine at a complex in the burbs, as long as I can get to the highway quickly.

What areas are safe/nice/clean, etc.?

Any other advice or hints about my soon to be home would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers-

hey,

What price you plan on paying for the apartment and what price did u have in mind for parking?:cool:

NoCaution

SofaKingEuro.com
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI - MoonMan
hey,

What price you plan on paying for the apartment and what price did u have in mind for parking?:cool:

I was paying around 700 for everything in Seattle (which supposedly has a slightly higher cost of living), so I'd like to try and keep it around there. I know that the closer I get to downtown, the more parking is going to be, so i'd be more than willing to be as much as 15-25 miles out in order to curtail costs a bit.

stangg172006

____ like a Rabbit.
Car(s)
'08 Rabbit S
Search housing on Craigslist. Pick your area. Type parking into the search field and select search title only. Select price range and room numbers. You usually have to pay more for parking and most places with studios don't offer parking. Edgewater has really cheap studios. 700 with utilities cheap. But again, most places dont offer parking for studios.

Mr.Fugge

Ready to race!
This is not bad idea but yet rogers park is not for everyone .
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/1799054121.html
parking is not a problem around the building because you are close to a big street. The area has crime happening but thats more by my house 3 major streets away lol. There is a shopping place around there and also almost all the local busses go to downtown from the red line station on Howard. Also Ballys gym is in the same shopping center.

NoCaution

SofaKingEuro.com
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI - MoonMan
You don't want to commute into the city. There is traffic 24/7. Find a place on the north side thats close to the red line or brown line so that you can take public transportation to places. Where are you going to work?

I don't mind traffic (I actually LIKE driving in LA, for example), and I'm not particularly fond of, umm, well... shall we say, people. So, public transportation is not an option.

As far as work goes, I'm technically self employed as a freelance audio engineer. But of course, every once in a while things get tough and I end up delivering pizzas to pay the rent, like I did the last 8 months I lived in Seattle. lol

So I figure I'll go out there, get a place, and if I can't find "real work" in a few months, I'll go get a job at a Guitar Center or some shit like that.

Kricket

v-dubber, once again...
you should probably check out some areas like des plaines or mt prospect - that way you'll be right near the expressway, in a relatively nice area and most places offer parking (although covered parking might be tough - especially in your price range)

when i stay in des plaines with my girlfriend - it takes me about an hour to get to/from downtown in rush hour - if i took the metra and then the bus to my building in the city, it would clock in at MAYBE 15 minutes quicker (but with 10 times the hassle / commotion / inconvenience)

time to downtown without traffic is at just about 30 minutes

with the burbs, youre a little further out from the city - but youll get a LOT more space for your rent money and everything else will be cheaper as well (utilities, gas, groceries, etc)

and keep in mind - the burbs surrounding chicago are plentiful and practically within the city - there is plenty to do in all of the suburbs around chicago - and youre close enough to the city to be able to hit it up every single weekend (if you so please)

EDIT - this is coming from a guy that lives in the city

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Car(s)
2010 Tiguan 4Motion
Just signed a lease for a very nice apartment in Chicago's River North at Huron/Clark. It is exactly double of what you were paying in Seattle though.