GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

picked her up!!! question though for DSG owners

sola|2a

vdubinmatownhaus
yes finally picked her up after a 3 month wait!!!!!! :thumbup:

car is virtually perfect ... however i can sense some slight vibration when taking off in first gear (in the seat and middle console w my left leg rest against it)... just wondering whether this is normal for a DSG?

any feedback much appreciated!

nike61

Ready to race!
I noticed a few strange things but taling to the dealer and others found them to be normal. My DSG has just done 3000 kms not a lot since Aug 2006. One thing is that I drive all time in Manual DSG so on slowing down the gears drop down and when just halting the last change appears to be a little pronounced than the others. Also happens depending on speed if you choose to drop down using the paddle shift from 3rd to 2nd, which seems to be related to the fact that it is DSG meaning 2 direct clutches.

The other think is on take off. As I am taking it easy rather than burning off, it also feels a little jerky or soft, but if you floor it then it responds perfectly.

Mainly i think it relates to the car adjusting to your driving style. Remember it is DSG so it responds more precisely than othere autos, so you will notice these minor things more than normal.

When I drive in Auto only I find these even more, thus I drive Manual 99.9% of the time.

I think it is all normal myself so far. Just enjoy.

gmc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2014 Golf R
I've found that if I lift the brake pedal until the car just starts to creep when I see the lights changing, there is minimal hesitation on take off.

sola|2a

vdubinmatownhaus
I noticed a few strange things but taling to the dealer and others found them to be normal. My DSG has just done 3000 kms not a lot since Aug 2006. One thing is that I drive all time in Manual DSG so on slowing down the gears drop down and when just halting the last change appears to be a little pronounced than the others. Also happens depending on speed if you choose to drop down using the paddle shift from 3rd to 2nd, which seems to be related to the fact that it is DSG meaning 2 direct clutches.

The other think is on take off. As I am taking it easy rather than burning off, it also feels a little jerky or soft, but if you floor it then it responds perfectly.

Mainly i think it relates to the car adjusting to your driving style. Remember it is DSG so it responds more precisely than othere autos, so you will notice these minor things more than normal.

When I drive in Auto only I find these even more, thus I drive Manual 99.9% of the time.

I think it is all normal myself so far. Just enjoy.

right from what u're sayin the DSG does has some traits then... i can understand that since it is a new piece of technology ... however i dunno whether vibration can be considered a normal trait. i mean it's just very slight (also occurs in reverse as well)... so just want to see if its normal before i go harass my dealer again!

sola|2a

vdubinmatownhaus
I've found that if I lift the brake pedal until the car just starts to creep when I see the lights changing, there is minimal hesitation on take off.

i know what u mean... as soon as i lift off the brake pedal it seems like the car's ECU is giving engine just a little 'throttle' so it leaps forward a bit

dodgey

Not a VW owner
i know what u mean... as soon as i lift off the brake pedal it seems like the car's ECU is giving engine just a little 'throttle' so it leaps forward a bit

I have not felt any vibration on mine, but I have not been looking for it. I'll check mine the next time I drive.

The "creep" is probably because it does not have a torque converter to spool uplike an auto, so it's either clutch engaged and it rolls back (bad idea) or give it a bit of throttle so it does not stall :) BTW, IANAE/S :D

nike61

Ready to race!
In reverse, if I let the car reverse by itself without really accelerating, YES I notice some vibration only minor, but this relates to CREEP and uses only the engine revs. Talking to the Dealer, this is normal and relates to the way the DSG operates. Read the threads under DSG on www.forums.vwvortex.com and search as there is great information on how the DSG works which explains things.
I think you will find it is normal, but ask the dealer service just to put your mind at rest.

sola|2a

vdubinmatownhaus
In reverse, if I let the car reverse by itself without really accelerating, YES I notice some vibration only minor, but this relates to CREEP and uses only the engine revs. Talking to the Dealer, this is normal and relates to the way the DSG operates. Read the threads under DSG on www.forums.vwvortex.com and search as there is great information on how the DSG works which explains things.
I think you will find it is normal, but ask the dealer service just to put your mind at rest.

thanks for the link and advice nike61... will read those threads and the manual and do further testing tmr

captainslow

Mr Oversteer
I think it's normal. Happens on my car too, you have to remember that when the car is stand still the engine is still running and the DSG's wet clutch is half engaged, thus the vibration. shift it to neutral will get rid of the problem totally, just like a manual box.

The car manual says you don't need to shift to neutral when you are stopped for traffic, but my question is if the clutch is half engaged, wouldn't it wear out the clutch ??

The take off for DSG box is rather slow, so just be a little bit more patient, once it gets going it goes hard. I found the jolt happens all the time if you want to downshift on really low revs, just the engine can't crazy revving to match the revs, cause that'll give you acceleration instead !

Have fun !

golfie

yes finally picked her up after a 3 month wait!!!!!! :thumbup:

car is virtually perfect ... however i can sense some slight vibration when taking off in first gear (in the seat and middle console w my left leg rest against it)... just wondering whether this is normal for a DSG?

any feedback much appreciated!

Congratulations - really fun car huh?

In response to your concerns. I have not noticed any vibrations in auto or manual mode. Downshifts are a bit slow, e.g. if I want to downshift while accelerating or downshift as I come to a set of lights, but the downshifts are faster than my previous car.

I have noticed some vibrations in the side panels which annoy me a little (specially when the music is turned a bit over a quarter of the max volume). Also yesterday was driving it a little hard just to test it out I did notice engine vibration at around 4000rpm but only when I was coasting coming up to a set of lights, not sure what that is.

Enjoy! Mine is going back to the dealer as there were heaps of scratches (inside and the rear bumper and windscreen) and the front passenger door is slightly out of alighnment and a screw is missing. Also missing the bottle opener from the center console.

Cheers!

sola|2a

vdubinmatownhaus
I think it's normal. Happens on my car too, you have to remember that when the car is stand still the engine is still running and the DSG's wet clutch is half engaged, thus the vibration. shift it to neutral will get rid of the problem totally, just like a manual box.

The car manual says you don't need to shift to neutral when you are stopped for traffic, but my question is if the clutch is half engaged, wouldn't it wear out the clutch ??

The take off for DSG box is rather slow, so just be a little bit more patient, once it gets going it goes hard. I found the jolt happens all the time if you want to downshift on really low revs, just the engine can't crazy revving to match the revs, cause that'll give you acceleration instead !

Have fun !

i've yet to drive it since yesterday so i will c what happens in manual mode when i go out tonite... but from what u r saying about the clutch being 'half' engaged i guess i dont have anything to worry about!

captainslow

Mr Oversteer
that's my educated guess only. i can't find any publications on this. my observation is that the car pulls forward if the brake is not fully stepped on, so something must be engaged. And then to not move the car it has to be the clutch that gives the slippage. you can also see that is probably the case with instantaneous fuel consumption, foot down firm on brakes vs neutral has 0.2l/100km difference.

sola|2a

vdubinmatownhaus

just a small pic :wub:

sola|2a

vdubinmatownhaus
that's my educated guess only. i can't find any publications on this. my observation is that the car pulls forward if the brake is not fully stepped on, so something must be engaged. And then to not move the car it has to be the clutch that gives the slippage. you can also see that is probably the case with instantaneous fuel consumption, foot down firm on brakes vs neutral has 0.2l/100km difference.

just went on a short drive just then and i agree with ur theory... esp since i recall riding in a friends manual car and feeling vibration whenever he engages the clutch to take off

will still keep an eye on it and will prob ask the technicians at the 1,500km inspection

cheers every1 for ur responses

nike61

Ready to race!
Congratulations - really fun car huh?

I have noticed some vibrations in the side panels which annoy me a little (specially when the music is turned a bit over a quarter of the max volume). Also yesterday was driving it a little hard just to test it out I did notice engine vibration at around 4000rpm but only when I was coasting coming up to a set of lights, not sure what that is.

I had similar vibrations. Did you get window tinting? Reason is that to window tint they remove the door panel. What happened in mine was that the speakers were loose or did not get put back together properly after window tinting. They fixed and no problems since as they added extra padding :thumbup: