GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chips??

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
This is something i have always wondered, my good friend chiped a car, and then the tranny blew a few months later. Why is it that if an afetrmarket company can make a simple chip to reprogram a comuter and squeeze out mroe power WITHOUT damaging anything, why doesnt the manufacture do it right form the factory, after all arent they looking for the best performance?

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
The manufacturer has to worry about fuel economy, emissions, longevity, and drivability. They balance all of this against performance until they get the right mix. Chip companies only need to worry about getting the highest possible HP/torque numbers out of an engine. Chipping will reduce the lifespan of a drivetrain. The gamble is by how much... Long story short, chipping companies want your money and aren't all that concerned about what happens to your engine 2 years down the road.

GTI2007

This is the warranty of Revo. Looking pretty good to me

Attachments

• Naamloos-1kopie.jpg
    Naamloos-1kopie.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 2,000

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
The point is, if chipping reduced the lifespan of a powertrain - as was possibly the case in the original post - they don't cover it. Sure, if they hosed it by using the wrong program, they'd be liable. (depending on local law)

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
if you beat on your car it wont last long, a chip is good for WOT situations and you probobly will not be driving like that. so its good to say its ok to chip your car

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I currently have a Audi A4 1.8t Quattro, 5-speed .

I started with a .08 bar chip, then a 1.0 bar and finally did the K04 upgrade all GIAC. Never once have I had trouble/ failure. I took my K03 out at 90K (friends commented on how clean the turbo was and their was no shaft play) and the car has 129K now and I'm pushing out about 240-250 with all my mods. The car pulls like a freight train and still gets 34 MPG HWY. Running the Amsoil 0w30 helps greatly (saves me 8% in gas mileage)!

If you take care of the car let it cool down after sustained high speed runs and run synthetic in it you should be in very good shape.

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
you dont need to do anything to your car to beat 85% of the cars you will see on the streets. If you do chip it you must run high ocatane premium only , not doing so will cause major internal damage! If you wait a couple years you can get the most out of your warranty, then have a new feel and performance level. Also the chipping will be cheaper by then or you will be able to buy your own programmer cheaper then it cost to have it done.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
RJS5689 said:
i only run premium fuel as it is :-D

You took the words right out of my mouth!

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Question though, should I be conserned about passing emissions or anything with a chip?